CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Help me with warning light

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2004, 11:16 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me with warning light

Well, the darn thing comes on after warming up. Fan isnt coming on at all................. if I jumper the fan wire and bypass the thermostat switch, the fan turns on (obviously the switch is bad). So I power the fan with the bypass wire in and start it. After it warms up, the light still comes on? any ideas?

Old 09-25-2004, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

The red dash light warns for over temp on the water and also loss of oil pressure. What year of DS650 do you have?

Old 09-25-2004, 11:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the light is for both low oil pressure and coolant overtemp.

i'd replace the fan thermo switch.

make sure cooling system is full and there are no coolant leaks.

if the oil has not been changed in a while, you can have the red light go on.

do not run the motor with the light on!!!!! you could burn up motor.

change oil and oil filter. bleed the oil system by removing the screw located inside the oil filter housing, remove spark plug, with ignition off, turn motor over several times with fresh oil installed, until no more air bubbles come out.

clean oil tank screen located on the hose barb that feeds the huge oil line to the motor. you have to remove the fitting at the oil tank to get to the filter. if plugged with gunk, this will restrict oil flow to the motor.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

cant you just unplug the oil sensor and see if the light goes off? that would narrow it down real quick.

Old 09-25-2004, 11:47 PM
Range Rover

I have a 2001. I just changed oil not to long ago and everything was fine. It only comes on after it runs for a few minutes, so I assume its a temp problem? Even pulling the wires out of the thermostat switch and jumpering them together keeping the fan on all the time, it still lights up. Does disconnecting the wires from the thermostat still cause it to fault because it doesnt see a specific resistance or anything?

Thanks for the help

Old 09-25-2004, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

the light is searching for ground. from both water temp sensor . and oil pressure. try unplugging the oil pressure sensor and see if it goes off. if it does. then you need to determen if you have pressure or bad sensor. probably sensor is bad.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

I take off the oil sending unit and oil squirts from top hole.................................. unplugging it doesnt make it go out. If it was oil pressure, wouldn't it pretty much be on all the time if the sending unit was bad? or have people had issues after it gets hot?

Thanks for all the suggestions....Im trying everything

Old 09-26-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

not necessarily. mine started to flicker before it went out. but, you have a good point. if unplugging the oil sensor did not turn off the light. then forget that circuit.

Old 09-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

it could also be the overtemp switch starting to go bad, maybe from running hotter than normal with no fan coming on.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: tacookaz
I take off the oil sending unit and oil squirts from top hole.................................. unplugging it doesnt make it go out. If it was oil pressure, wouldn't it pretty much be on all the time if the sending unit was bad? or have people had issues after it gets hot?

Thanks for all the suggestions....Im trying everything

I'm no expert, but I'll add my .02. I've had a few oil sensor switch issues myself. Each time I would unplug the oil sensor connector from the top of the oil sensor switch, the light would go OFF. Since you state that the light is still ON after unplugging the oil sensor connector from the sensor switch, I must assume you have a problem with the overtemp switch ScoobyDFW mentions.

Quick Reply: Help me with warning light