CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

bogus headlight weight claims

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 12:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bogus headlight weight claims

I took out my '01 headlight - you know, the old style glass one - in preperations for a GNCC race.

So I put it on the scale and guess what it weighs? 2-3/4 lbs.

So if the new style headlight - you know, the plastic one with the dual beams - is really 3 lbs. lighter than the old style glass, well then that means the new style headlight weighs -1/4 lbs (negative quarter pound).

Old 09-27-2004, 01:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Don't know why I hadn't put that together too. I've got my old one in the garage and it is definitely less than a 5 lb. bag of flour. . .But, the glass mounts do break easy and the glass one is more expensive to replace than the plastic one. The look of the plastic one has really grown on me.

Old 09-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

i have had my plastic light off my 04X out and it ways around 2 pounds

Old 09-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

So it is indeed lighter, but not by half. I wonder if they were also adding in some other items that they were able to change on the newer machines? Are the mounting brackets really that different when you compare a new machine and an old style? (Not comparing the retro-fit kit.) Is there anywhere else the could have found two more lbs. of weight in the light? The plastic trim they added certainly takes up a small amount of that weight savings.

Not to say the new light is bad, but it is good to be realistic.

Old 09-27-2004, 03:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the frame and mounting tabs on the dash and oil tank of the news models is identical to the old, I looked at one the other day at the dealer. the new light is only slightly lighter, but then you have to add the plastic trim as mentioned, but also add the two metal brackets that you have to add to mount the new light. i seriously doubt there is even a single pound of weight savings.

but yes I do agree the new light is sweet, better lighting, reliability of two bulbs so if one burns out you still have another, etc, and it looks sweet.

but there is also something to be said for the old glass bulb - you cannot scratch the glass lense. roost will take its toll on the new plastic light, just as it has on all other plastic lights out there.
a lot of people have replaced their glass light after breaking the tabs off in a wreck, but epoxy PUTTY is an easy and wonderful fix, and nearly free. you just cake it on and pack it all around and make it even stronger than it was new.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Pro Rider

can I put on 05 headlight ( the whole unit not just the bulb ) in my 01 DS ???? sounds like I might have to help it fit so to speak ?