CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

How much to take out

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Hez
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much to take out

Does anyone know how much to take out or off when porting an intake? Mr. HP feel free to chime in with approx. measurement to grind out. Thanks guys.

Old 10-01-2004, 08:27 AM
sam
Pro Rider

when I did mine I put the TM45 on at the same time so I opend it up to 47mm on the sides. If you still have the stock carb I wouldnt hog the opening on the carb side very much more than 43-45mm on the sides. but you could take out the bubble on top, hog out the edges about half way down to cut down the angle the gas has to go down. dont touch the motor side opening that is mached pretty good. Try to hold the vein all the way down. clean it up good and scuff if needed. JMO see my pics if needed there is others with pics on there page to .
Sam

Old 10-01-2004, 05:54 PM
Hez
Range Rover

so no porting on the engine side? just the carb and everything leading up to the engine right?

Old 10-01-2004, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

sam,

were did you get the heat resistent ink pen to paint the motor, and didnt it burn off on the muffler

i spoke to someone else and they said painting the can was a waste it burned right off..i want to do that but

dont want to waste my time.

did you know alba makes clear radiator hoses and you can get color die to match you quad...the orange/red

would flow rather than glow green...

Old 10-02-2004, 12:36 PM
sam
Pro Rider

HEZ,
right, the engine side is usally matched very good. what you dont want is to open that side and have it bigger than engine head, the fuel will stumble over that lip it has to go over. also it was recomended to me is to drill out the bolt holes in the manifold one size larger that way you can line up the manifold perfictly ( move it around if needed) use your fingers to feel or use a flash light to pier inside. it was good advice.

Chirochris,
all I used was enamel paint from the local tru value hardware. the engine ( head, case) doesnt get hot nuff to burn it off. its been on for year and a half, it just needs touch up now and then. the muffler does need HI temp paint 1200 deg paint. I used Chevy orange. my first exaust I sand blasted to bare metal this still looks good now . the second was a Baja pipe( I wanted the alum. sheild,) I didnt sand blast it I went right over the stock paint, and at the front it turned dk. brown / orange. so I need to take it off and sand blast it down to metal and paint it again. the only thing that sucks is it is a flat color I would like a gloss but it still looks good.
Sam