CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Surveillance equipment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Surveillance equipment?

Well unfortunatly we think we may have someone case our place for the quads[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]. Since i don't have insurance yet i was thinking about gettin a cheap video camera for the garage. You guys have any suggestions?

Old 10-04-2004, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I suggest you get insurance before you get a video camera. If you really think something is going to happen, get some chains and lock your stuff down tight.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What I would do until then is get a cheap clock radio, or jam box, and turn it up, and leave it on at night, and when you are not home. I have the radio on in my barn all the time, most of the time I put it on a talk radio program so it sounds like someone is talking in here.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

i have a radio going 24-7.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I chain the garage door to the floor with redheads and a lock.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

Most outdoor sporting stores sell infared cameras that take pictures when triggered by body heat and movement.... It would take their picture but that would only work if they didnt steal the camera when the flash went off along with your quads. they start at about 70 for film cameras and about 100 for digital ones.

Old 10-04-2004, 12:29 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Unfortunately, I haven't found any cheap video camera options. Have a neighbor that bought some of the X10 stuff. I'ld rather set it up to record on a computer harddrive and have a battery back-up (in case they hit the electrical breaker first.) Nice thing is you can bring in multiple cameras rather than just one and hoping you get the loser on video.

Add a motion sensing light or something that won't activate until they enter the area (but, will draw their attention) and the loser will look up at the light (instinct). Locate one camera right near the light and you have Loser's face on tape [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] you could even hook up a cassette player to a motion sensor and record on the tape "your face has just been transmitted to the police!" Hopefully they would leave then rather than stay there trying to break the locks off your quads.

Old 10-04-2004, 04:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Someone can creep up on a camera and spray the tip or shell and possibly break it. Mine out front was broke and ripped up by some clown. But The 3 dogs I have are the ABSOLUTE best protection IMO. If someone is near the property that shouldnt be, My dog will literally come in my room and bark. They give a certain bark. I have heavy, heavy, artilary for the trespassers.
If Im not home and someone comes in the garage, they will have to shoot all three chows, or their dogfood.
Gets some chows and dont let them meet anyone when their puppys youll see their knarly!LOL.

BTW- even with the dogs, I still look into the garage and flip on the light [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Also, there at even more risk at the dunes.

Old 10-04-2004, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

I have asimmilar security system as you ANNIHILATER One Rott, One Chow and Berreta Cougar 45. as backup.....

Little story.... 10 years ago we lived across from a high school and durring the lunch hour the little snotts came across the street and cleaned out 4 out of 7 houses. Guess what the houses that didnt get robbed had for security??? .... Dogs.

lilnotts... not too sure what your setup is like right now as far as if you have a garage or a barn that may be detached in the back of the property, but if you feel that there is a serious threat looming then I would take your toys and put them in a storage unit for a few weeks till the thieves figure out somethings not there and then inm the mean tim it gives you a chance to rig a security system or get insurance. It might be the best 75.00 you spend! JMO.

Good luck

Old 10-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Be smart and get insurance. Its worth the piece of mind and a whole lot cheaper than buying a new quad. Also if you can get a local alarm company yard sign or two and some stickers, place the signs in your front yard or in a location where everyone can see them and the stickers on your doors and windows. Just having the signs and stickers is the biggest crime deterent you will ever have. Trust me I was a cop for 8 years. I don't pay for alarm monitoring or surveillance equipment. Besides the reality of it is if your stuff is stolen the odds of you getting it back are very slim anyway. If you can't get any local signs & stickers, do a web search for them and you can find some online. They won't be real, but they will look real and a thief won't know the difference. And they are very inexpensive too.

Insurance and alarm signs & stickers = piece of mind, and a new quad if it stolen.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Surveillance equipment?