CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

oil comming out of the top of my tank when i ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 07:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil comming out of the top of my tank when i ride

is this normal? the oil level is down to the flat peice inside with the hole in it for the dipstick, im not sure if this is the right level or not, the dipstick was busted of when i bought it, i can see oil coming from the return line going into the tank, the oil is not frotty or milky it is the regular oil color, is there suppose to be oil pressure in the tank? maybe i have to much oil in my tank any suggestions

Old 10-09-2004, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

I had a similar experience. When I changed my oil the first time I didn't drain the front reserve tank, it holds a lot of oil. When I refilled it only took like 2.5 quarts and was over flowing. Drain the front tank about a quart and then check it.

Old 10-09-2004, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

hey mike when you pull off your oil tank cover and look inside how far down is your oil level? down to the peice of steel that has the hole in it for the dipstick? mine is just below that and i am getting oil out of my cap but i have been riding hills all day too, i do not have a dipstick on my cap it feel off i ordered a new one but it will not be in till wed, can anyone help me thanks

Old 10-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Pro Rider

i found the little tube on the left upper side of the oil tank above the return line was flattened by the gas tank sitting on it maybe this is causing pressure in the tank, i blew through it now and it is clear to the top of the valve cover, im gonna go ride it right now and see if it still has pressure in the tank after i climb some hills and dunes ill let you know how it works

Old 10-09-2004, 11:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i think the hose that connects between the oil tank and the valve cover serves as a partial crankcase vent and also helps to push oil out of oil tank and into oil pump. you might need to replace the seal on the dipstick - they wearout, and increased blow-by makes the problem worse.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, my oil comes up to just about there but after I changed it the first time it came all the way up to the top but never spilled out. It sounds like you may have a different problem as you stated with that line. Oh well, I've had mine a little over a month, what the heck do I know LOL.

I do know the owners manual doesn't mention that reserve oil tank or that you have to drain it when you change the oil FYI. It's kind of a mess too, get a flexible funnel or something or you'll have oil all over the place, make sure you don't drop the drain plug in your funnel like I did LOL, it will make another mess.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

does the cap on the oil tank have a hole for ventilation? should there be pressure in the oil tank?

Old 10-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

I think its a sealed unit, seems like it. There is a return hole or something that looks like oil passes through and I think I remember seeing oil passing through it when I ran it but I've never had it splash out. I think there might be a rubber gasket on the cap, not sure, I'll go look......

Old 10-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

Yep, pretty thick rubber gasket on the dipstick.

Old 10-09-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

No it does not have a hole in it. Or shouldn't anyway....
Your problem sounds like you have a bad dip stick seal. Prolly got sand or dirt on it and then was tightened down. Now it is pitted or maby not even there since the shaft that goes into the tank is busted off. But since you ordered a new one (dip stick) your problem will be solved when it arives.

Quick Reply: oil comming out of the top of my tank when i ride