CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

just did compression test dang

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just did compression test damn

i forgot to say majorecho is right if ya got to open up the head check the valves. i went through a lot of heartache and money on rings and gaskets when my valves were shot so make sure you check them

Old 10-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Engine Section

If your using internet explorer right click on the link and select save target. That way you can download it to your computer for future ref.
If your using netscape I think you select save to disk.

Good Luck

Old 10-10-2004, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

eagle that is so cool awesome thanks so much, what can i do to repay you the favor? can i send you some money on paypal? i dont have the bolt till i go down in the morning but from how i read it if the marks are lined up on the cam gears like in the pic then it should be at top dead center right? i couldnt do this without you eagle

p.s. is there a master link in the timing chain or do i leave it together and take of one or two of the timing gears?

Old 10-10-2004, 07:49 PM
Pro Rider

Thats cool...we are all here to help. I know you will but just help someone else when ya can.

As far as the bolt. Just take the one out that is there now and go to the hardware store. You need one that thread only about 2" long. On the end gind off the threads for about an 1/8" or so and you now have what bomb is going to sell you for 6 bucks...Only diff is you prolly only spent 39 cents.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

ok i see where the bolt goes i took out the allen head bolt and a little oil came out a drop actually and the book says turn the engine over with the allen key what is that? i sure will pass it along, my buddy is thinking about getting a ds too

Old 10-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

Yea they are talking about the the plug on the other side of the motor. Remove that plug and stck the correct size allen in there. You then can turn the motor over using the allen wrench. This will help you line up the notch so you can insert the modified bolt. All this will hold you at TDC. And make the tear down easier.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:28 PM
Pro Rider

can i ask where that plug is eagle?on the right side of the motor towards the front or back?

Old 10-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

Yea its on the right side of the motor as you sit on the quad. Ringht in the center of the magneto cover. It's got a straight blade screw driver slot in it and its a plastic plug.

Old 10-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

found it thanks

Old 10-10-2004, 08:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you need to check valve clearance before you take anything apart, except for the head cover of course. if you don't check the clearance first, then you may put it all back together for nothing if you realize you need to change shims after you finish a rebuild. and the valve adjustment may be all your problem is. in fact, if your bike is 2 years old and the valves have not been adusted yet, then its most likely your problem. one or both intake valves probably have no gap left, and here could be your compression leak. so check them first, shims are $5, vs. $350 for a piston gaskets and cylinder hone. if you do rebuild, don't forget a new base gasket along with the head gasket. clean the surfaces totally with alcohol or solvent and use NO gasket sealer on either gasket, put them on dry as they come from Bomb.
Good luck, have fun!

Quick Reply: just did compression test dang