CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

just did compression test dang

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 05:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just did compression test damn

well i didnt do anything witht the decompression lever so i am sure it was still on and i had the throttle wide open with the key off and cranking it got 100 psi so then i put about1 teaspoon of ill onto the cylinder and cranked it with a wide open throttle and the compression reading went up to 170 psi, i am not sure how much it is suppose to be with or without the decompression lever engaging or not engaing but from the differance in the readings when i used oil i am pretty sure my rings and piston are worn so that brings me to this question can these cylinders be resleeved or bored or are they nickasil coated? and how much is a piston and rings? i would like to have it pretty reliable so i am not sure if i should go with a high compression piston or not, any advice? thanks fellers

oh yeah i will be doing the labor myself except for the machining work, i wonder if anyone has a good used cylinder they want to sell?

Old 10-10-2004, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

These are Nicasil cylinders so your cylinder is prolly fine. If it's not, well when i had mine done it was 165 bucks to have it done. Perty sure thats what it was anyway. You should consider the 12:1 that MrHp offers. I went with the 14 myself.

Old 10-10-2004, 05:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Those cylinders are harder than a diamond. It's probably fine.

Definitely step up to a high compression piston. . . I think KM Duner was selling a 12.5:1 piston.

If the cylinder is damaged, you can bore it toa 102mm, get it sleeved or talk to The Bom about the new Pami offering. Used cylinders won't be cheap until the Mr. HP jug comes out. . . after that, the'll probably only be worth about $100

Old 10-10-2004, 06:06 PM
Pro Rider

hey eagle what did you have done to your cylinder did they bore it or renikasil it? if i put a high compression piston in it will that affect the reliability of it? i still want it to be reliable

Old 10-10-2004, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you can run pump 92 octane with an 11.5:1 piston and reliability will not suffer at all.

cylinder is prolly like new, very doubtful there is any damage at all.
actually its hard to believe the piston rings are wore out on your '02 bike, how many hours do you suppose it has?

Old 10-10-2004, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

I only had to have it re nicked. When I installed my ring package from woods I got the order wrong and busted a ring. I really doubt you need anthing more than rings...if that. But since your going in there to have a look. I would bump up the compression. I ran the 11.5 on pump gas with no probs at all. I would be will ing to bet you could do the same with the 12 also cause i don't think they are true 12's like they are prolly not even true 11.5's

Old 10-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

unless you have had sand or something go thru your motor the jug is probably just fine. Get the cylinder lightly honed before your put the new rings in just to freshen it up and ensure good wear for the new rings. Does the bike actually feel that gutless? 100psi would feel really wimpy and your would be seeing a lot of oil blow by. Maybe the valves are not closing all the way and just need to be adjusted?? ( though the oil you added says rings) Do you know the mechanical history of the bike? any problems? The bike is still too new to really be having issues if it has been taken care of.

Old 10-10-2004, 06:35 PM
Pro Rider

ok cool how much is the gaskets for these i read somewhere 50 dollars for the head gasket? i need to find a cdrom somewhere or a book i wanna fix this thing tomorrow or tuesday i have 3200.00 lol but i doubt the wife will let me spend that much on mods lol, can i start tearing it down taking the head of right now without the book or cdrom? that should be pretty simple right? ill take a bunch of pics before i start so i know how it went

Old 10-10-2004, 06:44 PM
Pro Rider

Thats correct. About 48 plus tax. I think the base gasket was 13 but not sure. Im uploading the section you need from the CD version of the manual as I type this. Im on a dial up connection so it will take about 35 mins to upload it to my FTP site. So check back in about a half hr or so and i'll put the link here for you so you can download it.

Old 10-10-2004, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

hey jackass i got a rwr piston in mine. 11:5:1 and it runs great on hi test pump gas. always fires up real quick . thats no joke.

Quick Reply: just did compression test dang