CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

studded tires for dirt drags??

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 08:00 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default studded tires for dirt drags??

Here is my question. Im from Wisconsin. In our area, most dirt drag events have a generic rule stating, no studded tires or paddles. (paddles wouldnt work anyway, way to hard packed) Does anyone have an actual definition of studded tires? I know what they are, and I know how to stud them, but here is my reason for asking.

Im working on a tire modification, but it doesnt involve studs. But it does involve steel fins imbedded into an existing tire. The reason for this expeiriment is this, most of the drags here in wisconsin this summer, were run on clay tracks. Thats great for the 1st round of action, then it gets hard as a rock, and you actually leave rubber on the starting line with the launch. These "finned" tires will dig into the track like no other tire ever has. The key is to securely fasten the fin into the tire so it can not pull out, nor push in. I have a process im going to use, but I wont go into details just yet. Im doing this with a set of realtors, which are not considered paddles.

So, would anyone from farther south, (where the drags are more common), have any detailed description of what most consider studded tires.

Thanks for your responses,

Gary

Old 10-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Anyone run dirt drags down south????

Old 10-11-2004, 07:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Gary, we regularly run 2 different dirt drags and go to a third when we can (about 4hrs away). Tires seem to be the single most important tuning detail you can do. This year we started taking both sets of tires (4 snows and radials) every time we go racing. The track conditions can change from one day to the next. I ran my 4.79 with the radials on because the snows wouldnt do as well that night. They dont have any tire rules where we race. It's pretty much run what you have and just do the bracket racing and quick 16. In my opinion a studded tire would be the actual studded tires used for ice racing. They would probably consider any tire that has multiple studs,screws,etc to be a studded tire. Sounds like you might be able to use your idea,though. Have you seen the new Skat Trak hauler made specifically for dirt drag racing? I just saw them for the first time last week. They look like they could work well. Also, have you tried running a Dunlop or Otshu radial with about 1.5 lbs of air in them? They will hook on just about anything like that.

Old 10-11-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

i live just outside of madison wi, have raced at alot of the monkey butt dirt drag's (yes i said monkey butt) and i can't beleive you could get anyone to accept any type of metal inside the tread of a tire? but if it works let me know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2004, 06:20 AM
Pro Rider

I would also think that any kind of attachment to a tire would be considered studded, especially metal.

Sounds like Turftamers would work pretty good.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Dcryder,
I usually run chinseng knobbies, but when the track gets that hard, they do nothing.

I think you guys are right about the metal inserts being not allowed. Im going to contact a few of the event promotors to see if they would allow it before we build them.

Jeffroe,
I see you live near Verona. Did you attend the monkeybutt drags this fall? Or Boscobel or Lodi? I was at all of these this year. It looks as if you will have another Busa DS near you next spring also. I wil be building 2 bikes this winter. One with the 1300 and another with the 600.

Thanks for the replies guys,

Gary