CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Question on Tranny gears? Tranny Transmission Gears Different

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 03:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Tranny gears? Tranny Transmission Gears Different

Check it out!

I've got some cancer on one of my gears. My gears are the shiny ones (lighter in color) in the pictures. The one that has cancer on it is the one that matches the "odd gear".

Now the question, notice on the thinner part of the top??? of the gear there are teeth on mine but, the tranny I picked up doesn't have them (it is smooth).
Let me try to explain this again. In the first picture there is a loose gear. That gear has teeth on one side then a channel then as you move your way towards the top of the picture there is a part that is smooth. Now, look to the left (in the picture) and notice mine has teeth. These are the same gear. What are the teeth for? Can I use this gear as a replacement?

I'm trying to figure out which year transmission each of these is (that's another story).

Can I use the smooth one as a replacement gear for mine?

Thanks for any input.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

there is one gear missing from the shaft.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yea. I know about the missing gear.

I'm only looking to use the one gear from the set I picked up. My tranny is undercut and I only want to replace the bad gear.

I sent the guy I got the tranny from an e-mail. He should be looking for the other gear.

Old 10-13-2004, 05:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i see it now.

that is odd.

Old 10-13-2004, 06:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I dont recall my gear having the "teeth: like yours does. Maybe the company the back-cut your gears did that to your set?? At any rate the smooth gear should work just fine, just make sure all the measurement match up.

bigger.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

The tranny in my 01 and the one I recently bought. (Don't know the year of that one.) Both do not have the notches / teeth on it like your tranny with under cut does.

I agree with bigger. As long as they both have the same specs. They should be fine.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Eaglecollector
The tranny in my 01 and the one I recently bought. (Don't know the year of that one.) Both do not have the notches / teeth on it like your tranny with under cut does.

I agree with bigger. As long as they both have the same specs. They should be fine.
Thanks Tranny-God-Dude. You too Bigger [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

P.S. Let me know if you need any other pictures while I have it apart.

Oh, I was at the dealer yesterday and he pulled up the part on the computer and you could see the notches on it in the drawing. So, sounds like it may be a newer thing. Interesting.

I'm going to send it off tomorrow to R&D for them to undercut the replacement gear. Honestly, the cancer is so small I really don't think it is an issue but, Preacher will never let me hear the end of it if I don't take care of it. If you've worked with him before you know what I mean [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] But, can't fault him for looking out for my best interest. . . it's just that my best interests seem to add up $$$ when I'm working with him.

Old 10-13-2004, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider

Hum thats strange. I just looked up that gear in my 01 parts manual (cd version) and it shows thoes notches on the gear. Very interesting indeed. Pehaps my 01 is actually an 00[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
Nope not an 00 tranny either. I just look at the 2000 and it shows the notches or teeth on that gear also

Old 10-14-2004, 01:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

That gear that has the smooth top to it is out of a 2003. fyi

Old 10-14-2004, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder if that small gear is nuetral like a place for the gear to go or sit when it is not in first or second???

Quick Reply: Question on Tranny gears? Tranny Transmission Gears Different