CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil pressure sensor - rubber boot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 08:30 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pressure sensor - rubber boot?

Is anyone using one of these. If so how did you get it on?
I don't see any way of getting it on other than cutting the main wire, slipping it over the connector, then having to solder the wire back up.

Old 10-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my bike used and they just siloconed it back on. I added a T and added an oil pressure guage and a temp gauge. just look at my pics. and you can see what I did.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Pro Rider

My set up is like naturalite's.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

Your sensor unit looks mounted differently. Mine comes straight up not at an T, looks like you modified the connection but what is the other thing it's connected to? Another oil line? As a quick fix I wrapped mine in electrical tape and a surgical glove. I was thinking just some rubber automotive hose slipped over the entire sensor and wiring assembly all the way up to the top. Seems like a stupid place or at the very least a stupid design for a part that needs to stay dry.

Old 10-28-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I just went to the hardware store to get the brass "T" to install the oil pressure gauge. I didn't want to lose the stock red light for a back up is why I used the "T". Same way with the water temp gauge, I used a "T" so I didn't lose the dash light for a back up. It's working out good so far.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:00 PM
Pro Rider

I just went to the hardware store to get the brass "T" to install the oil pressure gauge. I didn't want to lose the stock red light for a back up is why I used the "T". Same way with the water temp gauge, I used a "T" so I didn't lose the dash light for a back up. It's working out good so far.>>>>>>>>>>

OK, gotcha......the extra guages, <duh>. Could you pack the connection with vaseline as well to keep it dry?

Old 10-28-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

I dont know how well the vasaline would hold up to the heat. the silocone seemed to hold up well.

Old 10-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the water temp switch, fan switch, both coils, all the switches inside the light/kill/starter assembly, etc. all have connectors with no boots or seal. just keep them clean, unplug them and hit them with some contact cleaner once in a while.
regardless of the rubber boot on the oil sensor, the sensors can still fail over time, I've replaced mine twice in 4 years and neither time had anything to do with the connection, once it would not brake contact and I had a constant red light, another time it would never make contact to give me a red light. I carry a spare on every ride.

Old 10-29-2004, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider

I carry a spare on every ride.
>>>>>>

Good idea. I read where they failed much easier if they get wet, mine was only a month old but we drove through this creek quite a few times and it was fairly deep. It's also takes a pretty big wrench to get off, I found a tool in my motorcycle tool kit that fits it though.

Old 10-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Pro Rider

i fitted a new sensor after only a couple of months of getting the bike new, the new sensor started playing up after the second ride (and it had all been sealed with special eletrical spray)Bombardier shoud Know better than get electrical components from italy they are notorios for crap electrics.
got fed up with it and fitted a gauge.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure sensor - rubber boot?