CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Oil pressure sensor - rubber boot?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2004, 06:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure sensor - rubber boot?

its simply a pressure switch with 1/8"npt pipe threads that trips with the presence of pressure, I do not know what the trip point is, but I do know some people have replaced their stocker with one from auto parts stores made for GM and Mopar. I'm pretty sure the trip point is pretty low, like just a few PSI, because the red light goes out by just rotating the starter motor which is a pretty low rpm. So it seems to merely sense the presence of "some" pressure, and pretty much any pressure switch with the same threads would do here. you just might have to change the electrical connector.

Old 10-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I simply cut the wire, installed the rubber boot, then attached the cut ends to a wire connector. So far so good.

Old 10-31-2004, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

How would any of these connections effect the warranty? I mean, I can just imagine having engine problems, taking it in and the dealer is like "why on earth do you have a GM oil sensor and I doubt BRP will cover this work"?? I guess you could just swap in the old one before bringing it in.

My quad is new and that part should have been under warranty but I would have had to haul my quad into the dealer and let it sit until the part arrived, took me five minutes to replace and the sensor is $12.

I liked the idea of the guy who put in the pressure guage but kept the stock light sensor as well, in fact, this might be what I'll do that way if the "dummy" light goes out hopefully the back up still registers correctly. This stupid thing killed my second day of riding up in the national forest although I was pretty sure it was just the sensor I just couldn't ride with that red light on, goes against everything they taught us from drivers ed. and on.

My dealer said he has never heard of this part going bad so either they don't sell many DS's, people aren't returning there for service or the riders are ***** footin it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img])

Old 11-02-2004, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

Bom. males a factory boot to cover the oil presure sending unit. For some reason they do not put them on at factory. I had two go bad on my 04 just from washing it, And one go bad from riding in some deep water. If you look back in old post on here you can find the part number. That is how I found out about it. I took the part number to the dealer the last time I needed another sending unit ( under warrenty). When I went to the dealer they told me there was no such thing but after I bugged them for a while they looked up the part number, and there it was. They ordered it for me at no cost. I installed the boot with out cutting any wires. If you take the plug off and look into the end of it you can see there is a small tab in there that needs to be compressed with a pick or a small screw driver. Once it is depressed you can slide the body of the connector off. Then you can slide the boot over and reinstall the connector body. I have not have another sending unti go bad since I have installed the boot.

Old 11-02-2004, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower
its simply a pressure switch with 1/8"npt pipe threads that trips with the presence of pressure, I do not know what the trip point is, but I do know some people have replaced their stocker with one from auto parts stores made for GM and Mopar. I'm pretty sure the trip point is pretty low, like just a few PSI, because the red light goes out by just rotating the starter motor which is a pretty low rpm. So it seems to merely sense the presence of "some" pressure, and pretty much any pressure switch with the same threads would do here. you just might have to change the electrical connector.

FYI, I bench tested one. its around 3-5 PSI. I would not hesitate to put a different gauge in. like HT says. its just a simple switch. its not worth taking your qaud in to a dealer for a $12 switch IMO. there are much better ways to go than a stock swicth. as I have mentioned on here before. I like the murphy switch gauge . it has two circuits on the gauge. a normally closed and a normaly normaly open. so you can just conect your existing oil pressure circuit wire to the normaly closed circuit of the gauge. ground it. and it will turn your stock dash light on if pressure falls bellow the gauges set point. now there is no need for a pressure switch in the engine. just one supply line to the gauge. you could even run another circuit through the gauge if you wanted to. like a engine shut down.