CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Would like some Bombardier Questions answered please.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like some Bombardier Questions answered please.

Hi guys,
My Wife and I have been considering a 2-up quad, Mainly we have decided on the Bombardier over the AC as it just feels more comftorable. We have sat on a few and I think we like the 650 the best as it seems more roomy.
A few questions though,
WHats the difference between the quest MAX and the Traxter MAX 650's?? Reading a review it seems like the Traxter is more of a tractor?

What is dealer support like? Parts Pricing and availability? Warranty work? aftermarket parts availability, (filters, jetting, clutch?)
Prices OTD?
ANy Honest to goodness weak points to consider?

We currently mostly bikes, and an 04 Polaris Sportsman 400 that has been extremely reliable and trouble free after nearly 100 hours and 800 miles. It's not about unloading the polaris, as it is about being able to ride some trail systems that dont allow 2-up riding unless its on these specially designated quads.. The hatfield McCoy for example.

Any answers, Greatly appreciated

Old 11-08-2004, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Basicly the major difference between the quest models and the traxter models are the engine and tranny.

The quests had the 650cc engine and a CVT transmission
The traxter models had a 400 or 500cc engine and a 5 speed autoshift transmission.

in 05, they dropped the quest label and rolled it into the traxter line-up. as far as I can tell they haven't chaged much, so basicly the quest max 650 is the basicly the same thing as an 05 traxter max 650.

as far as dealer support, that will vary with every dealer. But that's no different than with any other brand (honda, polaris, yamaha, kawi.....)

Threre probably aren't as wide a variety of aftermarket parts as some of the other utility quads on the market.

The traxter/quest platform IMO is probably one of the best 2-up platforms available. They were originally designed with an extremely low center of gravity. And the step through design (which some people can't seem to get past) also makes 2-up riding all that much easier (helps keep you from kicking your passangers teeth in when mounting/dismounting).

The outlander max has also recieved great reviews from what I hear, and it's a bit more traditional in design (at least the body is).

Old 11-08-2004, 11:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

WHats the difference between the quest MAX and the Traxter MAX 650's?? Reading a review it seems like the Traxter is more of a tractor?
The Quest is a belt drive and the Traxtor is a true gear to gear with auto or manual shift.
About the dealer support. My closest dealer is 35 minutes away. I was not impressed when I took my quad to him for small adjustments; he was ok, but I had to make sure the job was done to my standards and I let him know I would not except anything less. My next dealer is 2.5 hours away.
About parts. It took them a week to get a small oil seal in but it was a weird part that nobody would have in stock. The only parts I have bought was oil filters; and they are expensive $16 or $17 bucks a piece!!!! No aftermarket that I know of.
When I took it in for warranty work I brought a check list with me. They fixed all the stuff on my list, nothing major, just stupid little annoying stuff.
After market parts. I have know idea. I have no need for any. I like mine stock. If I owned a sport quad that would be different, but this is a ute.
OTDP. I payed 69 for mine out the door. But keep in mind that it is a single standard and not a two up like you want. CHECK AROUND!!! HUGE PRICE DIFFERENCE in dealers!!!!
Week points. Only one. My one up rides like it has dump truck springs all the way around!!!!! I heard the two up ride better?
Everything else is super, and I do mean super!!!!!!
I think you will be very happy with either a Traxter or a Quest. Just look at the way they are built compaired to other brands.

Old 11-09-2004, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the replies guys.
I have researched a bit more and found EPI offers a clutch kit for the 650.
I have a dealer within 10 miles from me, So I may run down and take a look see.
I was reading on another site about Voltage regulaters being a big problem on the outlanders, was this an issue for the quest/traxter line also?

Ohh, One more question..
How Low is Low range on the 650? For instance on our sportsman, Low is Very low, which i like, not necessarily for the pulling, but more for going very slow over some technical trails down here. Now I know, the long wheelbase and low ground clearance wont allow for technical rock crawling and such.. But just curious .

Thanks again for the Replies

Old 11-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

There is no issue with the Traxter/Quest VR. Only on the Outtie.

Low on my Traxter is very low. Around 27MPH in 5th gear wide open. Very low in 1st.