CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Degreeing cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2004, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Degreeing cams

The TVI 720 I bought has had the head shaved .040 (or .050 or .070 depending on who I talk to). That has changed the cam timing. I have all the stuff to degree in the cam but since it is a dowel pin arrangement, I don't know the best way to make the ajustments. Has anyone played with the timing of their cams? Is it possible to redrill the cam sprocket for the dowel pin's new location or is it better to have the gear slotted and the cam treaded for a lock bolt instead of the pin. It would sure make for fewer mistakes on my part if someone else has done the job and it's working. Anybody?

Old 11-08-2004, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Default Degreeing cams

do a search on this i posted the same thing about a month ago. someone said you can but dont remember who?

Old 11-09-2004, 08:53 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Degreeing cams

shmee, Thanks for the bump and the info in it. I am not really into playing with the cam timing in hopes of a little more power, I just need to correct the problem someone created when they shaved the head and decked the cylinder to try to make more compression. There is a local machine shop that does a lot of Harley work and I am going to see if they can help me out with new dowel pin holes. I have not received the new head gasket yet, so the engine is still apart. I have set up the degree wheel and pointer and have checked tdc. When I get the head on, I will check the cams as compared to the info that Web Cams gave me. BTW, they were very helpful and did give me the name of a company that will slot and tap the cam/sproket so it can be easily adjusted. Since I am not going to play around with the timing and just want to put it to the spec's the cam builder has, I don't really want to go to the expense of getting the adjustable feature. Thats why I was asking if anyone had done it and just drill new dowel holes if possible.
Thanks again.

Old 11-09-2004, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider
Default Degreeing cams

If I were you I would contact the Preacher.... He can set your cams correctly and assemble your top end, he is the one who built Mario's motor and has been through this before...I think (Dune Me) has his #

Old 11-10-2004, 12:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Degreeing cams

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Ready for Thanksgiving???

Someone get some video of BigBaja's ride. Dumont is going to be the place to be again for Thanksgiving. . . What was fast last year will be lengths behind what is fast this year. . . unfortunately for me. . . I'm still at last year. I can't keep up with all you guys.

I've got Preacher's number. He'll need the whle engine to do it though.

Old 11-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default Degreeing cams

Duneme. Thanks for the post. Can you pm me with Preachers number?

Old 11-11-2004, 09:21 PM
Pro Rider
Default Degreeing cams

I got it all put back together. I didn't change the cam timing. TVI bulit the engine and had set up the cams. I measured 104 on the intake, cam card said 104, and 106.5 on the exhaust, cam card said 105. Thats close enough that I am not going to mess with re-pinning the cam for that 1.5 degrees. Interesting thing was the base circle on the cams. There was about .003 bump on the base circle. I guess that is where they did the overlay before regrinding the profile. If I was a racer, that would have to be corrected, but for playing around, it's OK. Thanks for the posts and information. See ya at Glamis on Turkey day weekend