CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I want some personal opinions on my motor

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want some personal opinions on my motor

ok my back is doing better my kid is gonna pull out my motor this week, the question is it runs fine has 210 lbs of compression but i am gonna get my frame paited with rhino lining , and i am curious if i should stick witht he stock piston or go with something a litle higher compresion? i mostly trailride, it isnt burning any oil is an excellant started but i wanna make sure everything is fresh next summer, i do plan on getting a mrhp ported intake and encap, but im gonna stick with the stock carb and airbox, im not sure about a new cdi box yet i still wanna keep it reliable,im gonna keep the stock cams so does anyone have any suggestions? thanks

Old 12-01-2004, 02:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do a lot of things to a Ds motor and it will still be reliable, the only guys that have trouble don't have it tuned correctly or are pushing the limits with their motor. If you plan on getting the ported intake and end cap, I would get the CDI box next. With out it you will be bouncing off the rev limiter all the time. Also with the mods you are talking about, it would be a good idea to get clutch springs.

Old 12-01-2004, 03:08 AM
Pro Rider

ok the 40 or 60 percent clutch springs? and would you go with the stock od high compression piston? thanks wayne

Old 12-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Elite Pro Rider

gearing is a area a lot of guys over look. i've seen stage two's lose to stock machine due to gearing. clutch springs are a good choice, makes sure the hp is getting to the tires.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:50 AM
Trailblazer

If you raise the compression the next problem you will have is fuel. You will no longer be able to run pump premium....food for thought

Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 AM
Pro Rider

You can use an 11.5:1 piston with 92 octane correct?

Old 12-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

The best set up I ever had on my DS is the 11.5:1 piston, A1A2 cams, ported head, ported intake, TM45, & RWR pipe, CDI. But if you dont want to do all that, the end cap, ported intake and CDI are good choices. The end cap will make a huge difference in the low end, but wont produce the overall power like the RWR pipe. In my opinion, if you are pulling the motor apart, do the cams. You can run half premium and half race gas with either the 11.5:1 or 12.5:1 piston. You know a lot of people are nervous about a race head - bigger valves and head porting are pretty inexpensive for the extra power it provides. If you do all that, the end cap probably wont allow the motor to produce the higher RPM power that the motor is capable of.

Old 12-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

You still have many things to do before you open up your motor and your wallet. If your motor is running great right now just do the bolt on. Springs, CDI, carb, and end cap. If you want a CDI you can try the procomm for $99 or go with the Vortex. If you go woods you will want new value springs.

Old 12-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

well here is the deal i still want to be able to run 87 octane fuel but i just wanna freshen my motor up on the inside but if going to an 11.5 to1 piston means using higher octane fuel forget it, ill just check my piston for wear put in new rings a ported intake and encap jet it and call it good maybe next summer a new cdi, im also gonna switch from 20 rears and 16 tooth to 22 rears and 15 tooth and 23 fronts then i will have something, i dont know what but something lol

Old 12-01-2004, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

you shouldnt even be running 87 octane in a ds, 91 and higher is good.

Quick Reply: I want some personal opinions on my motor