CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is the DS650 right for me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 11:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the DS650 right for me?

Hey yall, Great forum!!! Tomorrow i go pick up my (NEW) 2001 ds from my local dealer. I did alot of searching for the right quad for me. At first i thought it had to be a Utility like praire.... but i rode my neighbors 660r in the bayous and through all sorts of mud and i fell in love with the sport bike. I'm 6'4" tall and weight in at a mind blowing 280lbs, I ride in mud, dirt, hills, pits, and anywhere else my ridding mates 660 and 350r odessey will go. the only thing im worried about is not having reverse. To the folks that ride the terrian i plan to traverse, do you feel im buying the right atv. The dealler let me test ride it to "charge the battery" and this thing is unlike any atv i've ever come across, makes the prarie 650 seem turtle slow and the raptor look like a Kitten. the bike has rim protectors, nerf bars and 22" itc holeshots new. Can i up grade to a vamp style mud tires at around 24 to 25"'s? Thanks for the help and i look forward to being a member of the elite.

BigIke

Old 12-08-2004, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

BigIke650 welcome to the forums. No other sport ATV will fit you like the DS650. You will not find another forum with the info that you can find here.
Joe

Old 12-08-2004, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

I am 6'5" and after riding the DS everything else feels like a kids toy. Welcome to the club.

Old 12-08-2004, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

The DS is great for us big boys - The 2001 will need some upgrades that are now in place for the newer models.

1) Chain Roller - You probably have the old style rubber chain roller. At your weight, the rubber one wont last long. You can get a new sytle Bombardier Chain roller or an aftermarket one by UPP or by TM Designworks. I like the UPP best (IMHO).

2) Shift Forks - You are ok for now, but be aware that the shift forks for that model year are not the beefed up version they now put on the DS. See if you can get a break on that from your dealer when they eventuallyl bend.

3) CDI - The CDI for that year incorporates a max rev limit of 7700 RPM. There are plenty of options there for you both aftermarket and from Bombardier.

4) AArms - The AArms on that model year will cause "twitchy" steering at high speed. The new model year incorporates a different rim offset and to cure this problem. You can change rims or get different aftermarket AArms to compensate for that.

There are a few other things that I'm sure others will ring in on.

Welcome to the forum.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Whats the story on these, they seem cheap in price, but the quality looks great. and thanks for the worm welcome yall i've been waiting for this day for 27 years! Get my new BOMB tomorrow and new baby girl on the 20th! Got to break it in B4 the baby comes!!

Old 12-09-2004, 12:14 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Welcome Bigike, sounds like life is good!!!!!

Old 12-09-2004, 12:23 AM
Range Rover

I'm 6.2" 290 lbs. And have been riding for 17 years I have owned 7 different quads, new and used. And I would have to say the DS650 has been the best one yet. I ride in woods. My DSs have never been on sand dunes. You do have to ride it smart when in aeras with narrow trails and dead end trails.You will need to learn how hit narrow trees at a angle and things like that. One more thing, you need to ride the DS all day before you decide if you like it or not.And 22' mudlite's work really good.

Old 12-09-2004, 03:27 AM
Pro Rider

Welcome to the forum BigIke650... As you can see by how many post i've posted i'm new to this forum as well startin for the start of this week. I've owned my ds for a yr. but i just stumbled across this website til a week ago. If you have any questions about the ds, i'm sure there will be some1 to answer it around here.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:29 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BigIke650
Hey yall, Great forum!!! Tomorrow i go pick up my (NEW) 2001 ds from my local dealer. I did alot of searching for the right quad for me. At first i thought it had to be a Utility like praire.... but i rode my neighbors 660r in the bayous and through all sorts of mud and i fell in love with the sport bike. I'm 6'4" tall and weight in at a mind blowing 280lbs, I ride in mud, dirt, hills, pits, and anywhere else my ridding mates 660 and 350r odessey will go. the only thing im worried about is not having reverse. To the folks that ride the terrian i plan to traverse, do you feel im buying the right atv. The dealler let me test ride it to "charge the battery" and this thing is unlike any atv i've ever come across, makes the prarie 650 seem turtle slow and the raptor look like a Kitten. the bike has rim protectors, nerf bars and 22" itc holeshots new. Can i up grade to a vamp style mud tires at around 24 to 25"'s? Thanks for the help and i look forward to being a member of the elite.

BigIke
in
The DS is not built for woods riding, or in tight areas. in order to use the DS for what is was designed for, you need wide open areas, like dunes, or deseert. without the reverse, you will have a hard time riding in what you going to ride in. it is a pain in the *** to pull out of the mud, or turn around by hand, as the east will weigh in dray at around 500lbs. believe it or not, the raptor is a better small trail/woods riding bike...........just my 02...by the weigh..i am also 6'4" but i weigh in at 300lbs. i mainly ride in the dunes and desert.

Old 12-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome and you wont find a better motor than the Rotax. Im 6'3 235 and Ill never have another quad. Ive got 3 each with a little different setup. Beware its adicting. Parts and upgrades. Congrats and good luck with littleIKe. Keep us informed

Quick Reply: Is the DS650 right for me?