CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Steering Stems

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Stems

A friend and I have been discussing the point of these aftermarket steering stems.
What does an aftermarket stem like say roll design provide over stock? Besides looking much better? They are like $400, and although I'm unsure what the stocker is worth, this seems like a huge price and for what? I know you can get the anti-vibe systems, but how much better are they? Is it worth it? I can see the length desires, but modify your own. Are they stronger? Lighter? I just want to know the details on these.

He needs a stem, as did I, I bought an OEM, and he wants aftermarket for 4 times the price I paid, I'm trying to find out facts to help him make the right decision. Weight savings don't matter, strength would be nice, but other than that, the stocker feels fine to me.

Old 12-16-2004, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider
Default Steering Stems

I love my Roll design stem. I did mine for $125. I called roll design and had them send me a stem top with a 40" stem, then I fit the height to where I liked it. Welded it up myself and had it powdercoated. It works much better than stock. You get alot less vibration in your hands, plus it looks way better then the stock setup. Stem $100, powdercoat $25. Check out my pics to see what it looks like.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:27 AM
Pro Rider
Default Steering Stems

I do like it, I have never found the vibration to be a problem, however I haven't tried the aftermarket stem either. So say I were to go your route, 100 bucks for the stem, by the time it gets here it's like 200, and powdercoating is scarce around here as well. I still don't think it's worth it.

Oh and a thought, A friend of mine has a DVX400, and on the ends of his handlebars, there are these plugs that screw in and they work well for vibration. And for holding on grips. Someone else might want to give it a try.

What are the biggest advantages of the aftermarket stems?

Old 12-16-2004, 06:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default Steering Stems

hey jmac im gonna do mine like you did order a pipe 1 1/2 inches longer than a stock one and weld it up myself and powdercoat it also, ill put my pics on my webshots page as work progresses, ill take some tomorrow of it rippped apart all over the porch lol

Old 12-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Default Steering Stems

Just order it with a 40" stem. The tubing is 1 1/4". This way it is plenty long. I think I had about 10-11 inches extra on mine after I figured out the length I needed.

Old 12-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default Steering Stems

I debated this too before, i rolled my DS and hair bent my stock stem, can barely tell, looked into it and the IMS / Roll stem is sweet but $$$, the stock stem is only $120-$150, i called a local dealer. For that extra $300 id rather get somethin else

Old 12-16-2004, 03:03 PM
Pro Rider
Default Steering Stems

Thats exactly my argument. But on the opposing side I just wanted to know what is so good about them suck as weight savings or strength.

Old 12-16-2004, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Steering Stems

There's a trade off with adding a stronger part. If you are crashing into trees (which I seem to do quite well) or rolling it or whatever, something's going to bend or break. It just depends on where the weak link to the crash is.
I wanted stronger a- arms. Well the next thing to bend will be the frame if not the a-arms.
Ya know what I mean?
I think it is good stock. I am dyer need of one myself. (see above)My dealer wants just under $200 for the stem, bearing, and both bearing flanges. The Roll Design is nice to look at. I just don't see the added value other than looks.
Ha! I just thought of something funny. I should put tree stickers on machine instead of kills. I would have 8!

Old 12-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Steering Stems

I'm right there with ya man. I'm trying to get enough facts to convince my buddy to skip out on the aftermarker stem, and go used or oem. Hell, make one if ya want. The top plate is simple, then a length of skid 80 pipe, and use your old bottom piece. I have an old one and I'm gonna try it.

Old 12-16-2004, 10:38 PM
Range Rover
Default Steering Stems

sched 80 pipe? Ouch. I think 1" pipe has an OD of 1.315" and is .179" thick.

20 feet of .080 wall 1 1/4" inch tubing is $18. Chromolly would be $80ish. This would be a spot on OD measurement. I haven't checked the stems OD, but trust JMAC is right. The right outside diameter could be worth the extra coins spent.

you could opt for .120 wall, but is probably not necessary.

Thanks for the idea JMAC, I think I have a 30-40' of 1 1/4" chromolly in my shop, maybe I'll fix mine now.

--

Quick Reply: Steering Stems