CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

My first impression of the 650

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first impression of the 650

FAST!!

Although, there are some things I would like to change. First, What can I do to reduce the weight of the throttle? It only took a 15 min. ride to have my thumb cramp up. Secon, What's up with the choke location? Who was the brain child behind that?

I also need to do some playing with the air fuel mix and gear ratio. It's a little slugish at low rpm's and puffs a little white smoke.

All in all....hell of a ride.

Old 12-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

you have the stock carb and the throttle seems hard? I have not heard that before. you will get used to the choke location. before you know it, you will just reach down and pull it closed without looking or thinking about it. if you do a search on gearing. you find alot of post on what these guys run. myself, I run a 15t front sprocket and 22" rear tires. thats pretty close to stock gearing. my next rear sprocket will be 1 or 2 teeth larger than stock. most gear down a little.

oh yea, welcome to the forum.

Old 12-22-2004, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

I hated the thumb throttle so I went to a twist and love it. Although I have always ridden bikes so it was natural for me to want a twist.

Old 12-22-2004, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

BUBFRider,

There is an extended thumb throttle now for the DS which gives you more leverage. If you go to a larger carb, that will also help. The twist throttle is also an option. Make sure you get the right cable connects between the twist throttle and the stock BSR carb.

Old 12-22-2004, 05:03 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the tip. I've been riding quads and trikes for the last 17 years or so and I don't ever remember having a throttle give me that much trouble. One thing I noticed is that it seems that the bike will not "coast". Seems that unless you are feeding it a little fuel, the motor drags it down. And constantly giving it gas doesn't give you much of a rest.

I had a three wheeler with the twist throttle and didn't like it. Evidently I move around too much. I found that when I would "hang it out" it was hard to feather the throttle. Personal preferance I guess. The other thing I noticed is that I feel like I'm reaching for the throttle. Maybe I just need to play with it and find something comfortable.

Old 12-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Pro Rider

Maek sure the throttle cable is not pinched somewere.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

I tried a twist throttle once. I sold it on ebay after the first ride. IMO, there is to much torq on the front tires when turning for a twist. its hard to control when your pushing and pulling on the bars.

Old 12-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: busmechanic
I tried a twist throttle once. I sold it on ebay after the first ride. IMO, there is to much torq on the front tires when turning for a twist. its hard to control when your pushing and pulling on the bars.
Bus,

I tried my twist on my EX last weekend. As you know, I got the 1/4 to full Motion Pro one. I love it - but then again, I rode a YZ with a 1/4 to full twist for years on the trails and dunes, so it was an easy transition for me. The only thing that is going to take a little more time for me to get used to is those darn whoppy sand roads we have at Florence to get out to the dunes. When I stand up, and put my butt back towards the back end of the seat and throttle up, the slightest bump slightly accelerates the twist a little more than my old thumb throttle did. But there are huge benifits for me. 1) full throttle capability of my edlebrock carb 2) shorter motion over my machined out stock twist throttle 3) and easier cable pull. The open dunes and normal riding trails are no problem for me.

Im sure I'll get used to the whoops more as I take it out a few more times. Part of the problem is the stock shocks - I know if I had some better shocks they would absorb a lot of those whoops so I wouldnt have to.

Marky

Old 12-22-2004, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUBFRider, did you get it used? or new, if used, what mods does it have, everybody here will help you get it dialed in.

Old 12-22-2004, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

Have you tried another DS's thumb throttle, maybe there is somethign wrong with yours. I find the same ting about the coasting along, but if you pull the clutch it coasts fine.

Quick Reply: My first impression of the 650