CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Powdercoating Do's and Dont's

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powdercoating Do's and Dont's

Well, that time has come where I got motivated to do some things to the DS. As of right now it's torn down, bare to the frame. I was interested in powdercoating the frame, a-arms, swingarm, nerfs, and other small things like the steering stem and whatnot. I have a general idea of how the powdercoating process goes, but I was wondering if there were any tips anyone would have.

Maybe certain parts are a no-no to do like the axle maybe??? Do I have to cover threads and plug bolt holes? Does it have to be sandblasted first? is there a recommended thickness for durability? would a clearcoat help alot? Stuff like this is what I want to get out in the open. Obviously some of the questions are self explanitory, but for the sake of everyone who may be interested, i just want to get a Do and Do not list goin.

Thanks to anyone who can contribute to this cause, maybe it might save a whole lot of swearing and breaking things...lol

Happy New Years and lets hear what ya got to say.

Old 12-30-2004, 09:46 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Is this something you are going to do yourself, or is a pro going to do it? If you are going to take it to a pro, you don't need to do anything. A pro will know to tape the threads and plug the holes and will do all the prep for you. Drop the parts off, tell him the color you want, and pick them up when they are done.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

Just bring them the parts. They should take care of everything for you. Just sit down with the shop and go over all the surfaces you don't want powdercoated. Threads, holes, zert fitting holes, ect.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

It's a local shop called global coatings, mainly do industrial stuff, a little less delicate than a quad. I have a few buddies workin around the place so we should be able to have it done as a side project. Anything I can do or know beforehand would be a great benifit. This provides as a good learning experience, and it should be almost free. Thats why I wanted to know some of the "experience tips" people might be able to let loose.

Otherwise ya, I'd just drop em off like you say, sign the bill and pick em up.

Old 12-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

i had my frame and swingarm done am as happy as can be. make sure that when you get it back, before you put anything on do this.
take and drill out all the holes that bolts etc. go through. the powdercoating fill these holes and makes it difficult to get things like the swingarm bolt through. also make sure you grind down to bare metal where the coils attach to the frame and also the grounds of course. there will be spots on the swingarm where the coating fill the threaded holes. use a tap to clean it out. very easy stuff. dont use clearcoat. clearcoat spiderwebs, cracks, and gets swirlmarks. the structural integrity of the powdercoat is good enough. trust me. i just gotr done riding like a bat out of he!! through roads covered with rock salt. i could here it hiting the frame and when i was done i couldnt find a chip or scratch. the stuff is strong. put it on thick but not too thick if that helps. the thicker you put it on the more it will want to chip and the more reaming out of holes you will have to do. i think you will be happy when you are done thopugh. good luck.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Thats what I want to hear, Thanks

Now are there any certain parts that are advised against to be powdercoated? I was told the axle was iffy due to issues with bearing races and the nuts sliding over the coating and whatnot. Any ideas like this that could be brought forward would help as well. Thanks

Old 12-31-2004, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

since i just got my axle put back on today after re-greasing everything i would recommend not getting you axle powdercoated for all the reasons you stated. i have not heard anyone having it done. your not alone though. i thought about it. i will just keep hitting it with sandpaper after i ride when its wet and it starts to rust.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, anyone have any colour schemes that look nice on the 04 DSX? or any DS for that matter? This is the part that really gets me...lol

PS I like the pics in your page bombsaint.....I couldn't picture that quad with red frame, but when I see it it really looks good. You have to see the finished project to get a feel for it.

Old 12-31-2004, 12:57 AM
Pro Rider

look at my pics page.

Old 12-31-2004, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider

I was lookin at em and edited my post just as you posted...lol

Nice quad though, what was the coating worth in the end?

Quick Reply: Powdercoating Do's and Dont's