CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

MR. HP. ported intake question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:28 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MR. HP. ported intake question

Is it worth the $ with the stock carb? Any seat of the pants diff?

Old 01-12-2005, 10:55 PM
Pro Rider

I haven't ried the Mr.HP one yet, but when I did mine, my results were noticable overall power increase, definately better throttle response, and the power was smoother. I don't have any dyno numbers or anything, and it wasn't a huge difference, but definately worth it to me cuz it was free. It would pair up and compliment an aftermarker carb setup, so sooner or later you will need one if you change carbs....not need, but I'd recommend. Also, i should mention my quad isn't dialed in perfectly by no means, so if you put this on, and dialed it in propely, you'd probibly see more of an increase than I did. $150 bones? I dunno, I did mine myself with good results, But like I said, I haven't tried the MR. HP one yet, although I should have one comin soon. I may have an extra ported intake layin around in about 4 weeks, keep in touch.....

Old 01-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Range Rover

I was thinking of doing it myself also. Last night I was on the HP research website and saw that a ported intake was only $75 with core. Thought that looked pretty good.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] The race porting was $150. Did you have to rough up the sides or anything for better atomization or leave it completely smooth?

Old 01-12-2005, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

I rouched it up some, not too much, but not too smooth. I don't really have the time, nor do I care enough to try different textures and do my "seat of the pants" test. I didn't do the best job keeping the center vein all the way to the end, but I did a good job removing the hump, and channeling it well. From what I've seen anyways.

Old 01-12-2005, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

dunesled one thing about doing it yourself but if you make a mistake your out a intake. i just got one from with my 46hv and end cap so i can't say how it does by itself. but if you deal with them good ole boys from kentucky you will be happy. good luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2005, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

The $75 is not the full race port If you inteand going with a big carb at some point its worth getting it done to the full race spec $150
If not $75 job will be all you need.
The way i looked at it was i could do it myself but i might come up a hp shy of what it could have been.
If you want to know you got every last possible HP out of it thats what you pay mr hp the $ for. If you are happy gaining a bit of hp but maybe not al it could have been then a DIY job is the way to go.
Depends on your prioritys and what that last HP is worth to you
Either way you will get a boost

Old 01-13-2005, 04:56 AM
Pro Rider

Yea, I can agree with that for the most part, it's all what that last few HP is worth. I look at it as a few extra HP for free, not losing a few to save a little cash...if ya follow me. And also, you take my intake, on a properly tuned bike will dyno more than a Pro intake on the same bike thats not quite dialed in right.....

Trending Topics

Old 01-13-2005, 05:21 AM
Pro Rider

yeah
Thats true about the dialing in bit, No point in spending big$ on parts then 5 minutes on set up.
As for the diy vs Hpresearch intake Its all what its worth to you. I saw a manifold on e bay not long ago that didnt make much $ so you could always pick up a spare to experiment with. I have my stock manifold but i need to keep it as i have a two year warranty on the bike so i need to be able to put it back to stock if it comes apart .
If you wait another year or so it will be for sale
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

There are a few guys running home port intakes with good results, try sending sam a pm he has one