CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

CDI ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CDI ?

What CDI box is working the best for you guys? I have a PRO COM CDI now but I don’t like the way it changed my timing. The bike tries to back up at starts and shutoff, it makes that bad bone chattering noise. Any of you guys had that trouble with the RWR or the VORTEX?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2005, 11:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDI ?

Vortex works good for me!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2005, 11:19 AM
Pro Rider
Default CDI ?

Big dog,
I'm running the MSD and don't have a problem with the motor trying to backlash on start ups anymore, just too much advance at low r's on some of the boxes. I went through my motor a few weeks ago and was saddened to see the galling on the crank under the flywheel, the woodruff key looked like it had been weakened from repeated backlash so everything got cleaned up and a new key installed. I imagine just about everyone that has heard that awful noise has some degree of damage already inflicted. I had been running the woods box and +4 degree advance pickup and that was simply too much. I decided a rev limiter would be well advise for the turbo setup and so thanks to TVI I now have the MSD and love it!

Old 01-16-2005, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default CDI ?

I have gone through 3!!!! count em 3 pro com cdi units on my raptor and all 3 have gone out on me.I know you are asking about your DS but from my experience with pro coms problems with the raptor cdi i dont have much faith in the long term reliability of any of their units.I had the same starting problems with my procom cdi on my raptor and also eventually all three of them would fail to the point of effecting performance so much that i changed back to the stock unit for now.Now as for my 2003 baja i have had very good results with a big gun cdi unit and just the fact that i have a higher rev limit makes it worth the cost to me.I dont know how anyone could use the stock cdi on a ds if you do any dune riding or drag racing because the limit is way too low IMO.I suppose that a progammable unit might be worth the extra cost but for me the big gun serves me well.