CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Increasing Oil Flow to Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing Oil Flow to Clutch?

Cardiac, if you don't mind sharing the info on the folks developing the lockup for the DS, I'd be in the market.
thanks

Old 01-22-2005, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Rekluse , If they only made one of these that stood up to 100hp....

Old 01-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Anyone thats interested in a lockup, call Scott @ DirectDrive. http://directdrivecnc.net/index.html. I don't know if they are selling them yet, but they are working on the prototype now.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

thanks!

Old 02-04-2005, 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

this is what directdrivecnc sent me:

At this time we do not currently make a lockout for the DS650 because there is a major complication with the clutch actuator arm that is manufactured through the clutch cover and into the center of the pressure plate. for the lockout to work as it is designed it must sit on top of the pressure plate so the weighted fingers mover freeley with no obstructions. As with any vehicle running a lockout there is no room behind the stock clutch cover therefore the clutch cover would have to be modified.
it doesn't sound like there close to a solution to me.

it would seem to me that extremely stiff clutch springs would accomplish the same thing as the lockout and oil flow issues need to be addressed in either case.

I looked into the oiling issue. For those who don't know, the low pressure oil feed for the clutch is supplied through the hollow transmission shaft and delivered out through the end of the shaft where the nut screws on that secures the inner hub. The oil exits the center of the shaft into the inside of the inner clutch hub. There are (only) 6 holes in the inner clutch hub that are suppossed to supply the oil to the clutch plates. 6 holes is extremely insufficient lubrication. I think this is definately part of the clutch problems everyone has - lack of enough lubrication which is needed to keep clutch cool. The inner clutch hub can be drilled to add more lubrication holes. Also, I think that oil can too easily flow out the pressure plate through the clutch springs. If there was a way to retrict oil flow out this way that would also improve oil flow to the clutch. Dalton sells a DS650 billet clutch basket with oval cutouts in the fingers/ears of the basket for improved oil flow.

For now, I am going to use the EBC kevlar 9 disc clutch with 125lb/in springs, drilled inner clutch hub, Dalton billet clutch basket. The clutch I smoked on the hill was stock fibers. I had removed the kevlar to isolate some problems I was having the day before the race. the paddles were 25" 14-paddle extreme superlites used for flat drags - wasn't going to spend more money on another set of tires. the boost was actually lowered on race day to the minimum setting used for warming up motor. HP was only around 100 on race day, with at least 20 more available.

If someone can come up with something to prevent oil from escaping out the pressure plate spring holes, let me know.

the other variable in this is how people shift. i think the way i'm using the clutch to shift is causing premature wear.

i don't have an override. if there was a 1-4 or 2-5 i might buy one at some point, but i still don't conside rmy DS drag only.

Old 02-05-2005, 11:08 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

Scooby, direct drive told me the same thing, I dont see them doing anything for the DS. I talked to Barnett and they are coming out with a new more agressive clutch fibre, I stressed how bad I wanted to try them out but it will be a while before they put it on the DS clutch pack. I may try some oil mods also.

Your bike was definately the fastest at the hill. I hated to see the clutch go.

Old 02-10-2005, 07:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Here are some pics of the Dalton Billet Clutch Basket and the mods to the inner hub: http://www.geocities.com/turbo_davec/clutch_mods.html

Old 11-22-2005, 09:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Update: The extra holes added to the inner hub are helping with clutch life and improved the heat distribution/cooling on the steel plates.

Old 11-22-2005, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the update and great pictures.

Old 11-22-2005, 11:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

hhhmmm nice!!

Quick Reply: Increasing Oil Flow to Clutch?