CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Increasing Oil Flow to Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Increasing Oil Flow to Clutch?

After having clutch slip issues even with very stiff springs and with all types of oil, I'm wondering if there is something else going on like maybe lack of enough oil flow to the clutch to keep it cool. Has anyone looked into this? Increase hole size or add holes to inner hub? Add slots to outer basket fingers? Add grooving to the steel plates? The oil the clutch gets is on the low pressure side of the oil system.

If someone knows who I might send the basket/hub and steel plates to for modification let me know - preferably someone who does this kind of modification regularly.

Scooby

P.S. My take on the races will be posted within a few days.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Pro Rider

i know that we used to open the ports as you were saying on other motors. what about oil pressure? and do they make a rev-loc clutch for a ds? has any one looked into that yet?

oh, i know on other clutches the less pads or less surface there is more pressure per square inch. for better hook.....??...right

Old 01-20-2005, 09:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Whats up scooby, It was nice meeting you at the races. When Preacher did my motor he made me get the pami oil upgrade kit for bottom end. I do not know if it increases the flow. You know my ds gets a beating and mine hasnt heated up and slipped for a record length of 3 months, Usually I have to replace clutch every month. Last 9 disc barnet I did a circular motion sanding on the friction plates and then wiped them clean. With valvoline (motorcycle oil) 20/50 I have not had a prob. I have sprayed a 25 shot out of the hole in 3rd gear many times back to back and its held up. If you want to call the preacher and get his thoughts on your theory he may be able to help.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Scooby we need to come up with a lock out for the DS. Kelly told me that they went to the 7 paddles delibrately to keep the clutch from grabbing too hard and burning up on the hills, they were babying that thing to keep it going. Until the clutch issues are resolved the big power that the turbo bikes can make will not be seen or appreciated. I'm thinking of picking up a lock out for a banshee and redesigning it for the ds. I'll have to weld the extension cover on the case and build an extended actuator but I think it's possible. It would be nice to run the stock springs.

Old 01-21-2005, 02:11 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

That was going to be my suggestion. We never have clutch problems with the lock up on our shees with stock springs. Might be a business opportunity for somebody[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-21-2005, 02:18 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scooby do you have overide yet?

Old 01-21-2005, 03:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scooby ,, I feel for ya bro!! Sorry to hear about you clutch issues[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] The only person that can beat you , is YOU. Cause when your on, aint nobody can touch ya ...

I think it might be time to loose some wieght on that rocket.... You bike still wieghs more than 550 probably. I bet you could get her down to 400lbs if you set you mind to it. That will definately help with the clutch issues aswell.

take care.

Bigger.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

We had clutch problems on one of the 800's also. I have already made contact with a lockup clutch company to see if they will get into the DS world. If they can start with a quanity of 10 they might start talking.

Scooby you had the fastest bike on the hill without question. Anything that can pull topend like that with 12-14 paddles has to be making way over 100hp.

Old 01-21-2005, 10:30 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

10 should be easy

Old 01-21-2005, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Scooby
My son is getting a lockup for his Banshee. When he was bs'n with the owner of the place, the fact that I had a modded DS came up. The guy said they were close with a lockup for the DS. If you want, I will get more info for you.
It was great watching you run at FSW and sickening when I saw and heard you at the top of that last run. Oh well, working on them is half the fun.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Increasing Oil Flow to Clutch?