CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Wrist pin broke on RWR piston.

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrist pin broke on RWR piston.

Majorecho and I broke down the DS yesterday due to coolant in the oil and 155 lb compression test. Dang my luck if the wrist pin did not fracture right in the center. I just bought the RWR nitrous piston and was using their lighter weight wrist pin. Only had 20 hours at the most. (hopefully they will take some responsibility, I will let you know) Anyways we couldn't get the wrist pin out due to wear from the fracture. Luckily I shut the DS down when I noticed the coolant in the oil. If I would have run it much longer the Pin may have given completely and bye bye motor. Major has accepted the responsibility of splitting the case and rebuilding it for me. The last tear down was done by the local bombardier dealership.

PS. It was running like a raped ape when I shut it down. Blowing up comp hill at glamis hitting 800 rpms in fourth gear. (I was scared to shift into fifth) No signs of any problem other than the coolant.

Major will chime in with more info. He can describe the problem better than I.

anyone ever heard of such a thing??

Old 01-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] warranty!

Old 01-23-2005, 01:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Where was the coolant coming from?

Old 01-23-2005, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

Just currious what compression piston was it? and how much boost were you running?

Old 01-23-2005, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

12/1 decked to 10/1 compression running 7 lbs of boost. I think the coolant was coming from a gasket leak. It was a minor leak and was not really visible on visual inspection of the gasket. I am also changing th water pump seal, just in case.

Old 01-23-2005, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Did you have Ron Woods mill the piston down or someone else? Are you going on your third piston for that turbo?

Old 01-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

Elliot at ron woods milled it. I burnt the rings on the stokc piston and then the wrist pin on this one but the rings seemed to be fine. I really think this time it is just bad luck or a poorly made pin.(both I guess) The stock piston rings were due to being lean. (Not enough fuel when in fourth and fifth gear pulling hills) I should not have any more problems now due to the new EFI that completely self adjusts.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

They should take responsibility and or warranty the bad piston. The new EFI sounds sweet but the price is crazy.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Majorecho is trying to get the piston off now. When he does he will hopefully be able to take a picture and post it here. RWR wanted to take a look at the pictures also.

Old 01-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider - Oldham Racing
BUILDS THE FASTEST DS's ON THE PLANET!

Want a hot DS, or maybe one of the fastest DS's on the planet? This is the man to contact!

This sounds like detnation to me. How many defective wrist pins have you ever heard of? Was this the .120 or .150 wall pin. You must run a minimum of .150 when adding boost or nitrous. You should also send the piston and pin in to the piston manufacturer for failure analysis, they can look at many tell tale signs on the piston that may be able to stop this or worse from happening again. Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Wrist pin broke on RWR piston.