CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Problems going back to little quads!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems going back to little quads!!

I was wondering if anybody else feels the same as myself. I've owned just about everything but the new 450 Honda and the YFZ. Everytime I get on anything but my Ds it feels like a kiddy bike. I rode my buddy's 450 Honda and Yfz's and can't wait to get off them and back to my Bombardier. The funny thing is the same buddy owns a DS and can't even bring it on the same trip for fear of not wanting to ride the 450's!! I'm facing the problem of spending more dough on my Ds to go faster but feel it might be a better idea to just buy a lighter back-up bike to play on the hill with instead. I wish these things were lighter..............

Old 01-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

Oh, and I forgot to mention where's Hightower? I need his help badly!!! My Tm45 is killing me!! I'm ready to put my stock carb back on my thumb can't take it anymore!!!!!

Old 01-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Pro Rider

I know exactly what you mean I rode my buddie's bikes over the weekend and i could'nt wait to get back on my ds.........i am afraid I'll stay with the bomb.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-27-2005, 09:58 PM
Trailblazer

i feel for you , i went out with some dune buddys and what did they bring ???/ 2 450s 1 honda 1 yamaha , man they are light and nimble and power , but it felt like a little kids quad , like i was going to break it!!!! i weigh 225 lbs , i am sticking to my guns here on the ds..i have gad 3 ds's now and not 1 time did my ds give up on me , i would not give up either , my ds is bullet proof .. mabe the 450 is faster on the shooter hills but my ds still rides the smoothest and hauls me anywhere i wish to go ..just think about 1986 when suzuki came out with 230 quad sport i had 1 , i was only 14 i was the king of my town , and not to mention the girls i took for midnight rides!!!!i say lets dress up our ds quads load up the toyhualer and get duning ...ill bring the firewood and kaorake machine 10,000 watts ,,oh by the ay i drive a 2002 duramax crew cab long bed truck , i like my toys powerfull and trustworthy ,, anyone heard how much it cost for a valve check on a 450??? $$$$ hey im going to fetch the dutch ovens ..later rj

Old 01-27-2005, 10:11 PM
Trailblazer

There's no beating the seat that contours around the tank is there? You never realize until your out on the ride and your not so beat up!! And i remember those days when the quadsport 230 ruled. I owned a Mojave 250 in 87 and it was the hot 4-stroke then!!! When you ride these new 450's they sure do feel fast but when dragging up the hill it's pretty close when the same mod's are applied. When I rode my buddy's 450 Honda with the Curtis Sparks pipe,cam,piston,carb,e.t.c. it sure felt like a rocket when I rode it but it only had a bike length or two up the hill over my DS with a stage 1 kit. So needless to say I'm not getting rid of mine either. Anybody know the hot ticket for shocks on these things? The whoops are brutle at speed and would like to get rid of the rear-end swap........

Old 01-27-2005, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I am giulty of this also, but if people would be half as mindfull about thier Chassis "builds" as they are their motors builds then their would be ALOT of 400lbs DS's around.. The parts are available, its just people ( like myself) are programed to think MORE POWER is what they need.

Truth be told if you took a good running Piped DS that wieghed in at 400lbs, and raced a DS with 2 grand in the motor but still heavy, the Piped / light DS would win everytime in 300/400 ft. drags. ALSO, be more fun in the trails and dunes and more reliable.

BIgger.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:33 AM
Pro Rider

If the rear end is swaping on you try adjusting up your rebound damping a click at a time while runing over the same set of whoops, If you go to far the shock will start to stack down on you and you will loose travel this can be corrected by either backing of or coming up on compression damping at the expense of comfort.
Try playing with it until you get it right , Just write down every adjustment you make and if it all goes horribly wrong you can put it back the way it was.

Old 01-28-2005, 08:16 AM
sam
Pro Rider

I need his help badly!!! My Tm45 is killing me!! I'm ready to put my stock carb back on my thumb can't take it anymore!!!!!

esrboy, if you havent goten w/ HT yet here you go, this is from the great one him self[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] if you want to do it your self you need to have /order the soft return spring for the pump. take that spring and twist it in the way that would give it more strenghth/ tension, twist it good. put it back on the carb and take her on a run for a few make sure it doesnt idle high when you chop the throttle, if it does you need to twist it again. I did mine twice the first time I just didnt twist it enough. its been fine for a long time now, night and day differance.
Sam

Old 01-28-2005, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

BIGGERISBETTER - - - The name says it all...

Old 01-28-2005, 06:36 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: LVSARGUY
i feel for you , i went out with some dune buddys and what did they bring ???/ 2 450s 1 honda 1 yamaha , man they are light and nimble and power , but it felt like a little kids quad , like i was going to break it!!!! i weigh 225 lbs , i am sticking to my guns here on the ds..i have gad 3 ds's now and not 1 time did my ds give up on me , i would not give up either , my ds is bullet proof .. mabe the 450 is faster on the shooter hills but my ds still rides the smoothest and hauls me anywhere i wish to go ..just think about 1986 when suzuki came out with 230 quad sport i had 1 , i was only 14 i was the king of my town , and not to mention the girls i took for midnight rides!!!!i say lets dress up our ds quads load up the toyhualer and get duning ...ill bring the firewood and kaorake machine 10,000 watts ,,oh by the ay i drive a 2002 duramax crew cab long bed truck , i like my toys powerfull and trustworthy ,, anyone heard how much it cost for a valve check on a 450??? $$$$ hey im going to fetch the dutch ovens ..later rj
A group of us are heading to Dumont the first weekend of Feb, if you are interested in going that weekend?

Quick Reply: Problems going back to little quads!!