CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

red sticker green sticker question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red sticker green sticker question

i am planning on buying a ds650 but am wandering if the quad is a red sticker or green sticker anybody know?

Old 01-31-2005, 11:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

It depends on the 8th digit in the vin number. If it's a 3 or a C it'll be a Red sticker, if it's anything else it'll be a Green sticker. I believe this only pertains to California also.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The DS650 is green sticker in California. Generally speaking, the only red sticker machines are 2 strokes and some of the motorcross high performance 4 stroke dirt bikes. (I think the 426 is a red sticker.) This isn't a 'rule' but if you go by that you'll be right 95% of the time.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:22 AM
Quad Patrol

Like wshrdskin said, if the 8th digit is a "3" or a "C" you are good to go[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And don't go by what the dealer tells you. Check it yourself, guys are getting burned by mis-information from dealers. I remember not to long ago, someone posting here that very thing. Lucky for him, the dealer took the bike back. Not everyone is that lucky, though[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Range Rover

what is red sticker-green sticker

Old 02-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Quad Patrol

It's California's way or should I say CARB (California Air Resource Boards) way of trying to lower polluntants in the air. They feel by regulating when 2 strokes and certain 4 strokes operate, they will clean the air. Yea right[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Smog has nothing to do with parking lots on the highways[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]
So, red stickered bikes can only ride basically during the winter months. It does change depending on your topographical area. But only by a month or so. And the kicker is, you still have to pay full registration. Which isn't much, we pay $25 for 2 years. It's just the thought (for me anyways) you pay the same as green sticker, but, you ride half the time[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-01-2005, 12:54 PM
Range Rover

I know this is a dumb question but what does atvs have to do with the smog. When was the last time you saw smog at the dunes. I have seen hundreds of bikes riding at the dunes and never saw any smog. Sounds like a dumb law to make more money from our sport without us seeing any of it.

Old 02-01-2005, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

After tent camping at Pismo (oceano) dunes for a night, I noticed a dark film coated on the windward side of the tent(this side faces the ocean, which has an access area to the dunes where tons of people ride their bikes/quads. On closer inspection, it was two stroke oil from all the exhaust from the banshees, lt250's lt500's, blasters, and whatever else was out there that day and night.

My point is if they are going to regulate 2 strokes, then why does my gardner get to fire his weedwacker up and use it whenever he wants?

Old 02-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Range Rover

That is kind of my point. I see lawn mowers pour out smoke and all the 2 stroke weed wackers and blowers do their share. You are starting to see fewer and fewer 2 strokes every year as most everyone is getting 4 strokes. Seems that they should regulate industrial plants and semi trucks more than going after atvs. Sorry to bitch it just seems that everyone goes after us and not the real problems. How long until you have to get emissions done on our quads?

Old 02-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Range Rover

I think that my 250R puts out more dust pollution that real smoke pollution.

I'd be kinda pissed if I had a red sticker... Probably would be less likely to buy the machine anyways..

Quick Reply: red sticker green sticker question