CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Is The Traxter The best 4x4 Ever????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-1999, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Believe The Bombardier Traxter is the best 4x4 ever. its electric shift,true 4-wheel drive and all the extra features. well i would like to know what every body else thinks.

Mike Baker
Yamaha Big Bear 350 4x4

Old 11-11-1999, 05:27 PM
Trailblazer

It depends on your riding style. It sure seem like one of the best though it`s heavy.

------------------
Sylvain Belec 400 scrambler - 225 moto4

Old 11-11-1999, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Nope sorry bout that the 500cc is the BEST...
Great power will go 60mph will climb where a goat will go here in WV liquid cooled, semi independent suspension so the ride is great, disc brake all the way around, automatic, will clear higher than a cinder block, can ride 2 people and it still climbs good, can be locked in and out of 4wd for the best of both worlds, great stock tires, will start in any gear, great looks, I bet you are going to say the trax will go faster well it sure will but thats it, if you want something taht goes fast buy a dirt bike...

You might out run it but you won't follow the Big CAT

------------------

Old 11-11-1999, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

The sporstman 500cc. Will do the same as your Cat but with IRS and more ground clearance.

------------------
Sylvain Belec 400 scrambler - 225 moto4

Old 11-11-1999, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

The Traxter needs to lose some weight and get a better rear suspension system. Otherwise, seems to be a great machine!

Old 11-12-1999, 04:04 PM
Range Rover

The Traxter with its rear-mounted engine and radiator is exceptionally innovative. Its design shows the Bombardier engineers were doing a lot of thinking “outside the box”, but I tend to think it will remain a niche market oddity.

I really like the huge up front storage trunk, but at 715 pounds it’s too heavy, and at $7100 way too expensive. The need to go on a diet is especially obvious when the Traxter is compared with Honda’s new 597 pound (dry) Rubicon 500.

Personally, I do not care for the step-thru design. I am of the opinion that Bombardier should have designed the Traxter with a false fuel tank a` la the Honda Goldwing. Then there would have been something to hold on to with your knees, and there could have been additional storage directly accessible from the driver’s seat.

I’m in the market for a 500+cc heavyweight 4x4, and while the Traxter has some innovative features, it’s not something I’d spend my money on. I was hoping Kawasaki would coming out with their rumored 650 sport/touring quad this Fall, but no luck so far. Right now the Rubicon best fits my description of the ideal heavyweight 4x4.

For more detail on what I think constitutes the ideal heavyweight 4x4, please see my post under “Bigger Kawasaki Prairies”.

Army Man

Old 11-20-1999, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

The Traxter is very good (probably the best) utility machine, but only a marginal sport/utility machine. Although the Bombardier Engineers never really intended the Traxter to be a sport/utility machine. The 715 lbs weight really puts the torque of the 500cc Rotax engine to the ground. It will easily out pull any other utility ATV on the market. Where other utility atv's (with 75 lbs less weight) will just spin their tires, because they cannot put the power to the ground. I have heard of a Trater owner who pulls a 6 foot by 8 foot harrow. I have also seen a Traxter pull a Ford F-350 Super Duty for more than three miles. Both of these examples exceed the recommended towing capacity of 1100 lbs. So I feel that the Traxter is definetly the best utility 4x4 ever, but maybe not the best sport/utility 4x4.

Old 11-20-1999, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a tough one to call,especially giving it's weight of 715.The BEST 4x4 ever?How does one perceive best as?The best in mud?No,that goes to the 400CC Xplorer.The best ride?No,that goes to the Sportsman.The best work horse?No,to many other large 4x4 quads that fit that bill to.Get my point yet?

Old 11-26-1999, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Well although i dont know much about this quad, what is the deal with the step through design, i think that is really not what anyone is looking for. Wont that rear mounted engine make it easier to flip when going up hills? I still think that Polaris makes the best 4x4. no way will the traxter become the number 1 4x4 on the market. Has there been any shootouts, betweent the traxter and any other 4x4's? thanks for the time!

Ranger

Old 11-26-1999, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

The Traxter beat the Grizzly in a shootout at this site, But is also got beat by the Suzuki 500 in another shoot out by Dirt Wheels.

Quick Reply: Is The Traxter The best 4x4 Ever????