CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS Hybrid

Well I thought I would come back here to show you fellas what I am about to play with. I have considered rebuilding the DS motor that was siezed but instead I have opted to go with a Kawi engine. An engine from the 70's, a 750 2 stroke triple cylinder. At one time I used to drag race this bike before I got into Harleys. The reason I went this way was because I found an old H2 with fairing and sadle bags in realy good shape and if the bike wasn't any good I would use the engine in my DS. Well the bike is in to pristeen condition to rip it apart and I didn't want to ruin the bike but I sure liked the engine for its potential. I told a friend on another site about my dilema so he put me onto this site that I will show shortly, oh yes thank you Mike Walker.

Just a little history about the engine. It was the fastest street machine in the early 70's by todays standards it is a strong contender. With some modern advances towards 2 strokes this motor can put out 220hp to the rear wheels. In standard form around 120HP on pump gas this intregues me. The older engine had a 5 gear transmission this new one has 6 gears with a new billet machined core the tolerances are dead on, no more split cases. Anyway have a look at this site it explains a lot more than I can tell here, have a look tell me what you think.

http://www.exbilletengines.com/index.html

Oh yes the engine on the DS works can you believe it. Sure it is rough and wouldn't last very long but I am impressed after being seized. I took it apart after I managed to get it unseized the liner wasn't that bad. I honed it out and put it back together, fired it up on the bench. It started right up not a problem, valves, bearings seem be in good condition I will mike them later on. The only questionable part is the sleeve and piston but that is to be expected. It does smoke a little but not as much as some 2 strokes, lol.

Well that is about it for now I will drop in from time to time to update my progress. I must thank all you fellas that helped me decide on the DS it is a very stable platform with proven abilities, till later take care have fun.

Old 02-03-2005, 10:45 AM
sam
Pro Rider
Default DS Hybrid

make sure you come back w/ pics!! Ive seen this 750 tri and in a ds it would be a lot of FUN whooha hang on!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2005, 01:04 PM
Trailblazer
Default DS Hybrid

That will be sweet when it’s all put together. The power of that motor comes on strong and has a lot of punch.
In the day, even to this day those bikes were nick-named the widow maker.

Old 02-03-2005, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default DS Hybrid

There is a 750triple like you are talking about for sale on another forum in a shee frame and looks sweet. They were a blast to ride in the 70s!!!!

Old 02-03-2005, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default DS Hybrid

Another exciting conversion !!!!

keep us updated!

Bigger.

Old 02-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Pro Rider
Default DS Hybrid

Glad to help you out ALLTOY's... but, I am jellous... as you know that's my eventual goal, only on a custom frame... that billet motor is the "bomb" only fitting you'll be putting it on one... as I've done the research, let me know if theres anything else that wasn't on that original ling site that you need... I may know of a place ( I was e-communincating with a guy that bought a collection & had doezens of them in parts ), & talking with a company that does reed valves for them... OH Well... I've got to burn up a Yami 488 2 stroke, before I can do the "trip"...