CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

silver lake duners question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default silver lake duners question?

Hightower its not just in your mind.Ive only been going for two yrs
and it has gotten smaller.

Old 02-16-2005, 10:44 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: Hightower
I think its just that I'm so tall, everything just appears really small to me! I'll take your word on the topo map, documentation like that is hard to argue! My first trip there years ago it seemed much bigger, but after dozens of trips it seems to be shrinking....in my mind that is.
Ten or Fifteen years ago when I used to frequent the dunes they were considerably higher ( and not one way either). They are shrinking, they just havent gotten that small yet.

Old 02-17-2005, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the info GTX, I was about to do some investigating myself.

Wind erosion has for sure taken its toll on the dunes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2005, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

You're very much welcome jimmypsp700. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I know when I was younger the snow seemed deeper. LOL
Have a great day.
BryceGTX

Old 02-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

HEY HIGHTOWER:

IS THAT HILL SHOWN THERE THE FIRST HILL YOU HAVE TO CLIMB TO GET INTO THE DUNES?

IS THAT THE ONLY WAY TO GET IN?

WERE GOING MAY 11-15, NEVER BEEN THERE BEFORE SO EXCUSE THE SILLY QUESTIONS.

THANKS

Old 02-18-2005, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

where does everyone camp around silverlake? cant wait to go but want a good place to camp and have some fun. does anyone have a good story about a campground or a referral they could give me. i dont want to drive six and a half hours to stay at a crappy campground. any help would be great

Old 02-18-2005, 10:35 AM
sam
Pro Rider

here is a map of the parkmap

here is a link to the MI state park info on silver lake info

here is the link to the silver lake info this one I do believe has camping info in it silver lake site

I think these were posted B4 I just thought I would throw them in again. Ive never stayed at the camp grounds but many here has.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

There are two places i stay at, one is Silver Hills Resort and the other is Jellystone.
Silver Hills has a cool lodge that we rent once in a while, with a pool and all that. They also have cabins and campsites. The Jellystone right in Mears is very nice, extremely nice shower facilities.
Both places are tolerant of good times as long as you are not getting too loud and bothering others. Regardless of what they both say in their rules, I party til 1:00am at both places many many times with no problems, we just keep it down to a moderate level and don't blaze the fire too big.

Gwinn no hills have to be climbed to enter or exit the dunes, you enter the dunes down a long sand road from the parking lot, and when it opens up to the dunes lake Michigan will be straight ahead a ways, and all the big hills will be to your left. The wooded trail area is between the big hills and the Lake. You exit at the other end, after crossing all the big hills, but you don't have to cross them, you can easily go around them also.

That big dune you see from the parking lot in that first picture, it is the last dune you would cross before the exit, and the climb you would make is not nearly as tall as it appears in the pic because where you begin the climb is much higher ground than what you are seeing there - the base of it you see is actually off limits on that side to all but foot traffic. If they would let us climb that, well that would be awesome. But the people and cars and tracks you see there in that pic - it was a one time thing that doesn't get allowed very often at all - and that's too bad.
Test Hill we have been talking about is the very first dune you will see when you enter.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hightower: Actually, they have a race weekend of high-power buggys running up that hill every September. A friend of mine's parents live on Silver Lake (the lake) and he attends this every year.

Old 02-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hey BOMBSAINT. There are a about 5 or 6 State parks within 20 or 30 miles of the dunes. The nearest Campground is just south of the town called , you guessed it "Silver Lake State Park". It is situated right on Lake Michigan. If you go north up 31 about 30 miles to Ludington State Park, you will find one of the most popular State parks in Michigan. It sits between Hamlin Lake and Lake Michigan. It is best for hiking, biking,kayacking and swimming. There is a dam there to explore that creates Hamlin lake. If you have kids, Ludington is the place to go.

State Parks

I hope this helps you [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Quick Reply: silver lake duners question?