CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

question about valve shims?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about valve shims?

rught now my left intake is .004 clearance with a 2.15 mm shim the right is .004 with a 2.20 mm shim i am getting a valve job done my question is the shop said i will need thinner shims what do i do if i need a smaller shim below 2.00 mm? or do they trim the end of the stem? or does lapping not take of any material? or do i need new shims? or ? any suggestions greatly appreciated

Old 02-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

Tell them to take .2 mm of the stems for you. that is the same as .008 Or only .1mm if they think they can redo your valve seats with removing less material. Then go to dual star to order your shims. There only 3.95 each.
The KLR 650 uses the exact same shims. Dual Stars KLR 650 link

Old 02-11-2005, 08:53 PM
Trailblazer

The KLR shims are the same diameter as the DS650's?

Old 02-11-2005, 08:55 PM
Pro Rider

Yes...they are both 29mm

Old 02-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

ok thanks eaglecollector, especially thanks for the shim chart on your homepage it rocks, hey eagle let me ask you a question, can i put my cams back on with my head off and torque them down line up the timing marks and measure my clearance? instead of installing my head putting my cams on lining up the marks and measuring my clearance? as long as the cams are torqued and timing lines lined up with the lobes facing away from each other it should work right? otherwise i will have to pull the head have them grind the stems get a new head gasket then reinstall, I could use my old head gasket to cheack everything and if the clearance is ok pull the head and put my new head gasket on, oh yeah by the way the motor is pulled out sitting on my old ladies dinner table lol she loves me for that one lol my top dead center bolt leaked a little oil on her new table, I'm in the dog house thanks

Old 02-11-2005, 09:28 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks dude...just happy that i could help.

Old 02-11-2005, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

whats the weather like in california eagle? its 37 degrees here nice and sunny today

Trending Topics

Old 02-11-2005, 09:38 PM
Trailblazer

While we're on the subject of shims, let me throw a cam question in here. I've had several bikes with shim-over valvetrain but have never changed the cams on those engines. When I replace the cams on the DS, I'm assuming there is an initial 20-30 min. break-in procedure to follow as with most non-roller valvetrain. All the shims should be replaced, or flipped over to an unused side, is that correct?

Old 02-12-2005, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

Tonight it's about 58 outside and very wet.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] With more wetness to come. Hope mother nature gets it out of her system before next weekend[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

As far as cams and always using new shims / turning them over. Don't know the facts on what is recomended. But I have never fliped the shims after installing new cams. In fact I don't even flip them when I need to adjust them. If one shim will work in anothers place all i do is swap them. Never...ever had a problem doing that. As far as break in time on cams. I ALWAYS use assembley lube on all lobes and cam carriers when i swap cams or just remove them to swap shims. Then after proper warm up. Ride as usual. No probs so far in that area.

Old 02-12-2005, 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

Jackass650 wrote
can i put my cams back on with my head off and torque them down line up the timing marks and measure my clearance?

Yes you can. I do it all the time. In fact I learned that trick from Mr Ron Woods himself[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: question about valve shims?