CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

best pipe for ds 650

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 01:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best pipe for ds 650

gotta consider all the variables, power is only the tip of the iceberg. pipe construction materials, durability, end cap options, type of riding you do, rules and regs for where you ride, all need to be considered before deciding.

examples:

If you like mud and snow riding stainless is a must for long term durability, ceramics will have you bummed out in a couple years, if that long.

RWR - if you are a mx'er or like big air in the dunes, the last curve of the megaphone will be smashed by your swingarm, I've seen bad smashing on other people's bikes and photos, I don't take big air but mine was denting.

Graydon - not ceramic on the inside, will rust from inside out over time, keep it outa the woods.

End cap options for stock pipe - cheap at $50 but does your area have sparky rules or dB laws? Better carry the stocker with you to these places, or wait for the new disked end cap is coming out from a couple places, that will take care of the issues.

After having 4 other disappointing pipes prior to now on my DS, I now have the HMF. Only been on for a few weeks so no long term durability experience yet, but in my opinion its put together as well as any and better than a lot. I really like it so far, and it has all the options Bajax mentions - sparky screen, quiet core insert available, all bases covered. And its tucked up under the fender like the stocker instead of sticking out to the grab bar like some, which I really like.

Old 02-22-2005, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

HMF by far. Of course that bitch is loud without the quiet core, but that's the way I like it.

Old 02-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

I rode at Glamis this weekend. The 1st day bone stock, the 2nd day with the end cap, jetted, and K&N. Talk about a transformation, it was a relative pig in stock form and with the kit from on-dunes it was a rocket ship. I couldn't believe the difference, just roll on the throttle and the front end will lift with ease, plus it turned the DS pretty much into an automatic. 3rd gear could be chugged from almost a dead stop to a pretty good dune speed (and back again). I can't believe how much this kit did.

I can't see how you could get more bang for your buck than with an end cap, air filter, and a main jet.

Old 02-23-2005, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider

I like the HMF, can be quiet or loud, powerful and looks good!

Old 02-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I rode this week with my new HMF, I felt more torque on the low end than I ever did with my White Bors. and 18 disks, and just as much if not more than the Yoshi too. i was not a stage II machine when i wore the RWR pipe, so I can't compare there.

I dig the HMF so far, I can put the screen in where rules require it with very little loss in performance, and when I go to Michigan I can slip in the quiet insert in 30 seconds and pass the dB checks.
Two big thumbs up!

Old 02-23-2005, 12:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hightower:

The newer (last couple years at least) design RWR pipe doesn't have contact issues with the swingarm.

Old 02-23-2005, 04:35 PM
Pro Rider

Just ordered myself a new HMF slip on and a set of '04 headers, cant wait to see the low end power i hear about everywhere. Plus i can compare it to the Trinity, id love to get my new stock headers ceramic coated tho, someday powder coating and ceramic coating!

Old 02-23-2005, 05:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Nick I recommend JetHot for your ceramic coating, $55 to coat the stock headers inside and out. Very high quality and durable coating.

Duneme I was not aware RWR changed their design again. I'm told their first generation pipe hit the brake caliper, I know that has been corrected. But I did not know they redesigned again to cure the megaphone getting smashed too. Its been a couple years since I talked to RWR about their pipe, but last time I did they would not acknowledge the megaphone ever getting dented at all. If they did finally fix it for good, then that is great news because it is a very nice pipe.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Pro Rider

$55 !? they told me $75

Old 02-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

they may have changed the price but when I had mine done about a year ago it was $55, I actually paid $85 for the headers and the tailpipe minus the aluminum muffler can. and several of my friends had there's done aroudn the same time and paid the same.
inflation sucks!

Quick Reply: best pipe for ds 650