CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

torque vs horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default torque vs horsepower

lets suppose we have 2 DS'sthat run neck and neck both setup and geared and even have the same tires. One of them is going to get modded what would you want out of these choices keep the HP. the same while bringing the torque way up or keep torque equal and bring HP. up. The racing would be on level sand no hill shooting which would be the better way to go and why. thanks

Old 02-16-2005, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider

depending on where th hp is now...i would want the torque to be close to the same....torque gets you going while hp keeps you going ....in 300ft the more torque with a modest amount of hp will pull hard!!

Old 02-16-2005, 02:17 AM
Range Rover

I'd get the motor to rev fast by jetting for racer fast and and shifting faster. As long as its just bragging rights, its as simple as installing an o2 sensor, keeping the mouth shut, air filter clean...jet for the moment and pounce at will.

The difference between being jetted pretty good versus right on is 1-3 bike lengths on a hill climb. I've never jetted for flat land racing, but with an o2 on a 300ft run, it shouldn't be that hard.

crazy, that candy tangerine has got me seriously shaking my head. I sure wish you lived in Vegas.

--

Old 02-16-2005, 05:04 AM
Range Rover

crazy painter your quads look bad a$$! NICE JOB!

Old 02-16-2005, 05:18 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Heres an article about cars motors, and motors are motors. They basicly say to broaden the torque range, not necessarily the peak value, to get better performance. They also give some ideas on how to do that.
car craft

Old 02-16-2005, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider

id rather have loads of torque and quiet a bit of hp because without the torque u wont accelerate as fast as the guy next to u

Old 02-16-2005, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

torque hands down

Old 02-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NickDS650
torque hands down
ya what he said![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2005, 03:47 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Torque and horsepower are terms that really should be thrown out as the have confused people for years. You can't have one without the other.
What you are really asking is where should the be the range of the greatest power delivery. If you are strictly drag racing then you want to set the motor up to produce the most horsepower at high rpms and gear accordingly. If you want to do anything else then you should try to improve the engine efficiency in all rpm ranges. This is hard to do and takes carefull tuning of the carburation, intake, cams and exhaust, or just moving up to a big bore. I believe MrHP did alot of work trying to find the best setup for an all around power increase.
If the gearing had to remain the same then I would try to improve the midrange power efficiency.

Old 02-17-2005, 11:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Very well said mystereid.

Quick Reply: torque vs horsepower