CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

still leaking gas? please help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still leaking gas? please help!

my float drain is slill driping gas, i just adjusted the float using the clear tbe method to check the fuel level. i bent that float tab up a little bit, according to the clear hose the feul is about 1/2" from where the float bolts together. any ideas whould be great!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2005, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

I had a 2000 that leaked, ended up changing out the small O-ring that holds the Float Seat in place. The Brass piece that the float needle slids into, remove this piece and you will find a small O-ring. Got mine from Napa for 19 cents.

Old 02-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Range Rover

COOL!!! Thanks, ill give that a try.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-21-2005, 08:11 PM
Pro Rider

Was it leaking before your adjustment? Or was that why you bent the float tab?
I just borrowed a carb for the weekend and it was leaking in the same place. I happened to be at a AMA sanctiononed race and had plenty of help. There is no o-ring for the screw. That nipple on the end of the screw tightens into the carb metal. It was overtightend from before me. I used a piece of tubing on the float bowl nipple (where it was dripping from) and ran a screw up into it and that stopped that. The rubber tube is about 1-1/2". The screw fit snug and almost touches the float bowl drain nipple. It stopped it.
Now a new screw should do the trick. The part # is 707 200 024.
Hope this helps.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:05 PM
Range Rover

ok, i adjusted the float, i just put a new o-ring in the float ceat, and the damm thing is still dripping gas out of the overflow!! mudnuri i kinda lost ya there, you put a screw in the drain needle is, so you removed the needle screw and replaced it with a flat screw, if that makes any sense to ya? its been leaking before i touched anything.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

I hate when things don't go right!!
No what I was saying was... Your leak is happening outside at the bottom/underneath of the float bowl, right? There is supposed to be a long black hose attached to that nipple. You can drain the float bowl by turning the screw out. There is no rubber anything on that screw. It is a metal to metal fit.
What I did was used a short 1-1/2" piece of tube and put it in place of the long black one. Then I screwed a 1" screw into the tube. All of this is outside and on the underneath. The little tube now sticks straight down. No More leak.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

mudnuri is saying his bowl drain was leaking.
you need to determine if the problem is overflow, or the drain screw not sealing.

as far as float adjustment, the proper way to adjust it is to remove carb, remove bowl, hold almost upside down at an angle so the float drops to close the needle valve but not so far as to compress the teeny tiny plunger on the bottom of the needle valve. Then measure from bottom of float to the flat surface the bowl screws to. the spec I do not remember, somebody here with a shop manual can get you the info, I am at work and don't have access to my manual, but seems like the spec is like 17mm or maybe 18mm? my Mikuni TM45 is 17mm, I just don't remember the stocker's. this spec is farely critical.

now assuming the float is adjusted to spec, the problems that can cause overflow are dirt in the needle valve seat, a bad or worn needle valve tip (its rubber), or the o-ring around the valve seat that dasandbomb mentions. you need to remove the seat to clean it well, the tiniest micro grit or tiniest pit in the rubber tip of the needle can cause a leak. the needle valve tip and the seat must be perfection to seal, otherwise it will leak and not only drip on your floor but the bike will run too rich because of it. if the needle valve or seat need replaced due to damge or anything, they are very cheap.

Old 02-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

oh by the way, what mudnuri did was to temporarily plug the hose barb to stop from losing gas because the drain was leaking, not the float valve causing an overflow. you do not want to plug the drain/overflow outlet like that if the problem truly is a float valve leaking causing an overflow because then the carb will fill to the point of gas running down the throat and into the engine, seaping around the piston and into the crankcase, watering the oil down and creating quite the "bom" if you get my drift, and I'm not kidding.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

The stock carb float level is 10mm plus or minus a half mm.
http://www.ljsoftware.com/DS/SpecsCarburetion.htm

Old 02-26-2005, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

thank you hightower!!! i didnt think plugging the hose was a good idea, im going to try setting the float to spec and replace that o-ring agian and see what happens, i dont know if i got the right size o-ring, do you know the size of that? Im thinking that the drain screw is not sealing, but how do i tell?

Quick Reply: still leaking gas? please help!