CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which tire with which sprocket works best

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which tire with which sprocket works best

I'm getting ready to purchase another set of rear paddle tires and was leaning toward the Sand Star's but I'm not sure what size is best for the DS with only the minor modifications listed below. I was also interested in changing the sprocket size as well.
I don't race but I do want a bit better acceleration off the line without losing to much top end.

Can you give me suggestions on tire sizes that match well with different sprocket sizes? Also if I change the sprocket do I need to replace the chain since there is no master link?

Old 02-23-2005, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

22" paddles
15T sprocket

THis topic has been discussed to death. Try searching on "paddles". You would be amazed at what you can find by searching.

Old 02-23-2005, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

I did do a search but most of the information was from June of last year.
In the constantly evolving world of ATV's that is a lifetime......lol

Old 02-23-2005, 04:08 PM
Trailblazer

I to am in need of advice please. I weigh 230 my bike will sooner or later be slightly modded.I have already ordered 22"- 8 paddle haulers. Did I screw up again? Should I have searched around more for the extreme haulers? Rocky Mountain only carries them in 20".Should I change my front sprocket to a 15 or a 14?Will I need to shorten my chain if I do?Where should I buy the sprockets from, if I want good one's? Should I go ahead and trim my heal gaurds now? Soooo many ????? Thanks in advance for yor replies. Mike

Old 02-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider

OK I went to recreationtires.com and looked up the Sand Star
22”x11x10 Rear and the 22”x8x10 front. However I couldn't see any indication with regards to the number of paddles.
How do you know what your getting?

Also I decided to go with a 15T sprocket but in doing so am I going to need to change the chain as well?

I know these questions are very elementary for you folks and I'm sorry but they need to be asked one last time....lol

Old 02-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

15t should be fine with a factory chain. Im running a 14 T with factory chain but it has not stretched much yet. If your chain is already worn you might need a new chain, but if your quad is fairly new or you have kept your chain well maintained you should not have a problem with a 15t.

Old 02-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Pro Rider

Great ! I'll find one and give it a try. I'm sure somewhere in the manual it tells you how to check chain tension....lol

Old 02-23-2005, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Tool steel or hi-carbon steel for the front sprocket?

Obviously I've been looking at Sidewinder sprockets...

Old 02-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

Front: 22x8x10 sand stars
Rear: 22x11x10 sand stars
gearing: stock
Dune all day in third gear.
Mod Quad end cap, K&N, 175 main jet, needle full rich and mixture screw out 4 turns. ride in 200 to 1700 ft altitude range. 5000 to 7000 I use the stock 162.5 jet.

Old 02-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

sunman you did not screw up, 22" is what you want for any DS, stock or otherwise. 20" sand tires are not at all ideal for this big machine and that is a fact.

keep it at 8 paddles for a stock motor, especially if you are at high altitude.

Extreme's are more durable than regular haulers, but regular haulers hold up great if you are careful and don't spin them in the rocks or asphault.

I think Sand Stars only come in 8 paddle, this is why the listing did not specify.

Get a 14T and 15T front, try both, different types of sand, rider weight, and style, can require different gearing, it all about what feels best to you. but rest assured the stock 16 is a bit too high.

I recommend Titax fronts from Rocky Mt. they are $13 each and although they do wear a little faster than a higher quality sprocket - the higher quality sprockets do NOT last twice as long even though they cost twice as much. But in my experience Titax do outlast Primary Drive so I do not recommend them. I have gone thru about 8 fronts sprockets so far on my DS, 4 different brands, and Titax is what I'm sticking with.

Quick Reply: Which tire with which sprocket works best