CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

port your own intake

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 09:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default port your own intake

i was wondering if its possible to port your own intake, i know ya cant get it smooth like babys butt , but will it work ,, anybodys tried it .... kind of a hilljack idea but hey

Old 03-02-2005, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

Yes there are people on here who have done it....i wouldnt want to try it on my own without a spare intake laying around somewhere though.

Old 03-02-2005, 11:46 PM
sam
Pro Rider

yes its not that hard. I bought a $100 craftsman dremel kit and 20 dremel accc. kit and a couple other bits. couple things, dont touch the engine side unless your cleaning up some machining groves, ( mine had some) take the nub off the top (from bolt) you will see it when you look in side .open up you sides in the tunnel to cut the angle the air and fuel needs to bend. try to keep the vein running all the way out. I opened mine to 47mm. I'm running a 45mm carb though. also I drilled out my bolt holes one side larger so when I reinstalled the intake I could line it up perfectly. all this is whats been recommended to me from others. took about 3 hrs to port. I think there is still a pic on my page.
good luck

Old 03-02-2005, 11:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

its easy as 1-2-3 i can port a intake in less than 20 min i just completed one for KMduners stage three.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AZSAND
its easy as 1-2-3 i can port a intake in less than 20 min i just completed one for KMduners stage three.

I have done my own more than once, but 20min your scaring me lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

For anyone looking to attempt this for the first time I will offer the best advice I ever received, research everything you can find on porting and ask more questions than anyone wants to answer so you have as much info as possible before you jump into it.

Porting is sort of part art and part science but there is the potential to screw things up, so get your info together and have at it, but your end result will only be as good as the knowledge you gain and tools you have.

Old 03-03-2005, 12:35 AM
Range Rover

Just make sure you use arbors for cutting aluminum not ones for removing steel. I ported mine, not hard at all and works great.

Old 03-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider

i want to get my bike ported but i would not try it myself just seems risky.......... although i have never considerd doing it myself

Old 03-03-2005, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

I ported my own, took about 2 hours, definately noticed gains, although not too sure if I am experiencing maximum potential gains. Make sure it's not "baby's butt smooth" as you need texture to aid in fuel atomization. Don't go through obviously when trying to remove the bump on the top, and try not to get too greedy. Work slow, and you should have no problems.

Old 03-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Range Rover

thanks for the info guys,

Old 03-03-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheChosenOne
Make sure it's not "baby's butt smooth" as you need texture to aid in fuel atomization.
Good point, TCO
My Dad would take a tiny drill bit and make tiny craters in strategic areas to further aid and got great results.
This was for a rail not a quad
Biger is okay. Smooth isn't.

Quick Reply: port your own intake