CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

glowing headers??wtf?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default glowing headers??wtf?

A friend of mine ran race gas all the time and he couldnt get the glowing pipe to go away. He was running a 165 jet in a Z then he started to drill his jets....still had glowing pipes. Yes the lower octane fuels are slow burn. I would run lower octane as long as the engine didnt detonate/ping. Spending $5 a gallon on race gas on an engine that is 9 to 1 is hillarious and stupid. Race gas is for race engines that have very high compression...more like 11 to 1 and up. So I would try to stay away from race fuel unless you have high compression and need it to keep from pinging.

Running lean can be your worst nightmare.......yep a $3 jet is cheaper than a lean engine melting a piston.

I have an end cap and a K&N, I am at 2700ft. My jet is a 175 and my slide is set to 3 (ran sluggish on 4). My pipes do not glow. I ride the DS hard. I havent rode at night in the dunes so I cant say they arent glowing in the sand.

Maybe everone could share their air/fuel setup with what pipe so we all have examples.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Hightower

when I ran a stock carb I went from the stock 40 pilot to a 45,
ya, I told my brother to get a 45, I don't think its his valves since it starts easy in the middle of winter

Old 03-07-2005, 05:56 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

Had the same problem with my baja x after putting new ron woods header and pipe. But noticed when I was getting into the throttle hard it would not glow as much so I went up two sizes on my pilot jet and my pipe does not glow anymore and my bike runs better than ever.

Hope this helps.

P.S that much heat is very bad your valves are probably glowing too.

Old 03-07-2005, 07:34 PM
Pro Rider

i run a uni filter, 175 main, and a stock pipe with oversized baffle and endcap, air/fuel screw out three and a half turns. no-glow. the only time i had a glowing header was when my timing was way advanced after i put in a new set of rings and did not know a thing about four wheeler motors. common or not, i agree with hightower. if mine was glowing i would be messing with it forever til it stopped. oh yea got a hmf sport series ready to put on. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

well it still glows, so far we've put all new gaskets in the header,45 pilot in, new orings in the intake, and have sprayed and checked for an intake leak but they still glow, doesn't matter if its idling or it hes ridin it likes its stolen, his headers still glow, this is startin to **** me off

Old 04-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

The rwr cdi runs an aggressive advance curve.
When you do a high speed down shift, does your exhaust do any slight popping?
Jet screw should be out 4 turns. If popps, put in a 50.
At 2000rpm, 2nd gear, motor warm and you hit the throttle;
does the motor hesitate, cough and then take off?
If does, raise your jet needle one groove.

Old 04-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

ALUMINUM MELTS @ 1220 DEGREES F
MILD STEEL WILL TURN RED , VISIBLE IN DAYLIGHT 1000 DEGREES F

STAINLESS STEEL WILL TURN DARK CHEERY RED @ 700 DEGREES F
AND BRIGHT CHERRY RED @ 870 DEGREES F.

If you have aftermarket headers they are probably stainless and will glow red at a MUCH lower heat range the the stock headers.

Old 04-28-2005, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

it seems to run great, no hesitating or popping when you let off really quick, hes faster than me, for now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img], and the headers on a ds are stainless stock

Old 04-28-2005, 05:04 PM
Pro Rider

Pull out one spark plug.
Look at base of plug, where threads end.
If mid range is good, plug should be grey and alittle sooty black.
If end is grey and clear metal, mid is alittle lean.
Raise the jet needle one groove.

Old 04-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

Then I would expect them to get red. I first saw this when at the dunes at night and the hills looked like they were full of firefly's....Either this is a common occurrence or everyone is running too lean.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: glowing headers??wtf?