CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Shock tuning question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shock tuning question

I'm not happy with my suspension but am not ready to throw down big $$$ for aftermarket shocks so here's a thought. The rear shock has adjustable valving but with the front you just get what you get. What if I drilled the front shocks and refilled them with different weights of oil to adjust the damping? I could tap the housing and put in a bolt or possibly weld in a bung. What do you guys think? Are the fronts under pressure? I've got a spare lying around to test on and the stockers are cheap if I did mess them up.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

I honestly don't know, but would seriously consider doing the same if it worked.
J

Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I would like to see if somthing could be done with the stockeers aswell. Also can the stock rear shock be adjusted to work well with a +4 swingarm, without sending it off to be revalved? My quad sets too high when a adjust my sag to my wieght. I need to know more about shocks I guess[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

bigger.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Ride a YFZ for an hour. Then get back on your DS and you will have a whole new outlook on the DS suspension... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Honestly I don't think the suspension is all that bad compared to others out there but having the ability to adjust the dampening by changing the fluid weight would be a nice alternative to the high cost of aftermarket shocks.......Looking forward to one of the all knowing guys to chime in with the answer.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know much about shocks really but I've found most people are to intimidated to even mess with the clickers on their rear shocks on dirtbikes and quads.
Bigger, I'd try your stock shock on the 4 over before I sent it for a revalve, we put a DS rear shock on my friends CBR1000 quad with a 4 over swingarm and at 650lb and a 240lb rider the rear feels great but the fronts need some help. How is your project coming?
I'm reallly trying to think of what I want. I'd like to go through whoops alittle better and on the coast the sand stays damp and rutted so you kind of get jerked side to side. I don't mean bump steer as I have a-arms and a stabilizer but I'd like the fronts to give alittle easier on the first part of the stroke. If I ride high speed it rides great, so I'm thinking the oil could be a little lighter for softer bump resistance. I've tryed messing with the front spring adjustments but found I like the stock setting.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Pro Rider

The fronts are not rebuildable and there is high psi gas in them . If you want a good set of rebuildable shocks try an arctic cat or polaris snowcross sled ft shocks , they are long and fully adjustable w remote res. . If you go to the swap meets you can find quite a few there and on e-bay

Old 03-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The project is coming together, I tried to think of everything I might incounter with this biuld and engineered the frame on the TUFF side, but still made it look as CLEAN as possible. I didnt have to stretch the frame, and I was still able to keep the Radiator in stock form. I still need to relocate the Battery under the front nose plastic, then get a custon gas tank made, then it will be wiring this thing up ,and then she should be ready!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I really dont think I gained a ton of wieght with this conversion, but I will wiegh the whole package against my brothers 2004 Baja when its all done.

I will try to dial in the stock rear shock.

bigger.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bellracing2
The fronts are not rebuildable and there is high psi gas in them . If you want a good set of rebuildable shocks try an arctic cat or polaris snowcross sled ft shocks , they are long and fully adjustable w remote res. . If you go to the swap meets you can find quite a few there and on e-bay

Why not just get stock shocks off a Baja version, they are fully adjustable and have a remote res as well, don't they fit?

Old 03-16-2005, 10:24 PM
Range Rover

my baja fronts don't have a remote res and are *not* adjustable.

--

Old 03-17-2005, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Well, the high pressure shoots my theory down but then again I could well a bung in and stick a shrader valve in. I'll look around for other shocks first. I'd really like to have some adjustability.
Bigger, I'm glad to hear your project is proceding, don't wait till it's done to post pictures
Scoundrel, I had an old CR480 years ago that had reworked suspension and it has spoiled me forever. That bike would ride through whoops and stay perfectly level.

Quick Reply: Shock tuning question