CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Raptor owner afraid of DS650 piloted by 59-year-old man!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2000, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To prove its not all that everybody makes it out to be!Thats why Bill.And yes it is a icon in the quad world for many reasons good or bad. "mostly bad though"..

Old 10-01-2000, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

Well, your aren't going to be very successful proving your case with responses like the one you just posted. Why is it "mostly bad though." You didn't explain and support your claim with substantiated facts as I asked. You just responded with another meaningless negative phrase. The very issue that I was commenting about. But I am grateful that you took the time to respond.

Maybe your response IS the more appropriate one for this forum. I get the feeling that most of the participants in this forum aren't really interested in facts when it comes to quad comparisons. They really just want to vent their passions for or against something. Nothing wrong with that. My apologies to you, Mr. Leech. I was wrong and you were right. You understand the nature of the participants here and give them what they want. It was wrong and unjust to have criticized you for it.

Old 10-01-2000, 07:50 PM
Pro Rider

Speaking of facts Mr. BansheeBill,
1, Why do all the Yamaha Lovers have to reengineer their poorly engineered ATV's so they can compete with the correctly engineered units such as the stock DS650 ?

2, Why are the unpappy owners of the Raptor trying to get a better sprocket gearing setup ?

3, Just this weekend a Raptor blewup at the Shippensburg, Pa dirt track, trying to compete with the 400EX ATV's ? Superior engineering ?

Enjoy your world of dreaming, its wonderful until you wake up and find the FACTS .

Smile

Old 10-02-2000, 06:58 AM
Trailblazer

I threw that in to feed the fire...You should know better!The banshee is a good quad bill!

Old 10-02-2000, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Can't win? Ahh, but I already have. I won by his first response. He has shown his severe lack of intelligence by his narrow minded, repetitive and stupid responses.

He calls me a redneck? I think he was looking at himself in the mirror when he was typing that. I am far from being a redneck. I don't even like country "music".

BansheepBill, where will you be looking for me? Why will you be looking for me? I know I'm not your type, I'm a male human, not not a sheep. What, are you gonna beat me up? Give me a break. Do something productive and throw your keyboard away and brace the lack of technology, just like you do with your Banshee!

Old 10-02-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider

But they have tried to remedy earlier production mistakes. That's what the recalls are for. There's some new ones that are just in case recalls, because some people have been complaining about the oil pressure sensor and the head gasket.

They have made changes to the 2000 models made after December of '99 and have made some changes to the 2001. These are fine tuning of an already great design. I have yet to see Yamaha put this much effort into making right what they did wrong with the Banshee.

Prove me wrong BansheeBill. So far all you have spouted is a product endorsement for Yamaha.

And no, I haven't gotten mad at your spewing forthe from your keyboard. In fact, it's hilarious that you can keep typing in the same crap everytime. Do you have it saved on file so you can cut and paste it in everytime? Or, did you even think of that? ;-)

Bring on the flamethrower YamamhaBill, because against the likes of you, I'm fireproof.

Have a nice day,
CRT_Leech

Old 10-02-2000, 11:05 AM
Pro Rider

That wasn't my intention. BansheeBill is the one that had to make it an issue. Of course, I am to blame for perpetuating it with BansheeBill, but, I was having fun, also.

I'm still waiting for some kind of proof behind his "reasoning".

Old 10-02-2000, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

One quick question.... how many DS's have stock gearing????? not many that I have heard of... I don't see anything wrong with someone changing sprockets to fit there riding style..... but maybe I am not as sensitive as others...

Old 10-02-2000, 02:40 PM
Pro Rider

A sprocket does not make a customized ATV.

I personally haven't changed the gearing, except for the fact that I am running paddle tires that are a little taller than the Dominators.

Something that would be different from stock would be engine components different from stock, like bigger displacement, different cam timing (though, this isn't even considered as against stock for most race sanctions), and any other part that is not stock from the factory that would improve performance.

I seriously doubt that you would find too many stock Banshees, 250Rs or most other ATV's that are more than a couple of years old.

I just started this post because of the Yamaha fanatics that thought the Raptor was going to be all that, and it turned out not to perform as well as Yamaha had said it did according to the Yamaha rider reviews.

Now, Yamaha owners are backpedaling, saying, "well, it wasn't meant for strictly the dunes" or "well, lets race in the woods with trails only 45" wide so you don't fit" or some other excuse. Yamaha stated that the Raptor would totally blow away the DS650 in a drag race on sand, dirt or whatever. They said it would dominate over the DS650 in anything. The only thing that I see the Raptor dominating in is drag races in Reverse!

Come on, I would think that with that lightweight and high horsepower ratio that the Raptor has, it should smoke the DS650, but alas, it doesn't. At best, it's an even race. This is the best that they can do with a company that has more experience, supposedly more refined processes, arguably better financial backing in the ATV industry and a large pool of highly skilled riders?

I guess they bought one of the first runs of DS650's to compare it too. ;-)

If I had been a Yamaha fan and waited for this ATV as much as some of them did, I would be pissed. They are charging over MSRP just for the pleasure of buying the darn thing. The upper a-arms might break under moderate stress, the rear trailing arm is just waiting to stress fracture apart, the rear axle may be too weak, and it can't beat a machine that has a 2,000 rpm, and a 60lb. disadvantage?

Just think how embarrassed Yamaha would be if Bombardier came out with an aluminum or chromolly-framed version that weighed about 60lbs. less!

Laters,
CRT_Leech

Old 10-02-2000, 03:53 PM
Range Rover

CRTLeech

I think you know "Jaybo" he was who I went with on this trip and he can back up everything I am saying. He is by all means a "die hard" honda man that has never liked yamaha's. He was impressed. Anyways this is off of a post I made last week. This is my experience I did not have a chance to race a ds.

I just got back from the Winchester Bay dunes in Oregon. Last weekend I had went to Florence with the stock 13 tooth front sprocket, and in the trails, and cruising it seemed that first was to short, and second was to tall..... so.. I ordered a 12 tooth front sprocket and went yesterday with the new sprocket.
First of all I can say that it cures the problem greatly on the trails, and made riding alot funner. I am running 9 paddle haulers so I get alot of hookup, but it didn't seem to make it any worse as far as wheeling ( but then I could be getting used to the bike.. ) I am really happy with the results of the days ride. I did some racing for the first time with it. I raced a heavily built 310r,and 330r, a couple of stock banshee's, and a couple that had pipes and were ported. We were launching from about 50ft from the base of the hill. I ran even with the 310, smoked the stock banshee's, the ported shee's barely pulled me ( 1-2 lengths at the top of the hill, we tied a couple of times, I think it had to do with the starts.. ) and the 330r smoked us all ( 4-6 legths ahead of me at the top ). Over all I am very happy with the results, actually I was a bit surprised. It was a steep climb, I could launch it hard in 1st, and grab second befor the base, and stay in second all the way up. When we started farther back from the base 100-125ft away, I could grab 3rd befor the base and pull it to the top. I messed around with trying to upshift on the climb, and it wouldn't do it, on climbs that wern't real steep I could upshift. but basically whatever gear you hit the hill on at the bottom is the gear you will be in at the top. I think the 12 tooth makes the bike alot more ridable at slow speeds.

Any ways thought I would share this for anyone wanting to know about the 12 tooth in the dunes, and the results of some friendly hill racing.

I am very very happy with with my new machine, and to me that is all that matters. I am glad I got one, and by the way I paid $6610 otd ($100 extra for shipping or something) I think the few problems that people have had with the a-arms, and swing arms are far and few between, I have jumped mine, and hammered it through the whoops with out a problem.

One question, since you are making all these negative comments about the raptor, I take that you have rode one?? or have something other than " I read it somewhere " that you are basing your opinion on? I do believe that everyone has a right to there own opinion but if its not based on personal experience, how is it there opinion, and not someone elses???? I see way to much of that in these forums..... I guess it just comes with the territory

I see you are in washington, if you are ever down here and want to go riding let me know

Quick Reply: Raptor owner afraid of DS650 piloted by 59-year-old man!