CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need some help guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help guys

Well as far as my ds, runs good, jetting seems to be really close, still have issues with not enough spring tension, seems like it never changes any more, before it seemed like it was getting better but now seems the same all the time.
And a month or 2 ago my brothers quad started to have problems too, clutch didn't work right and his headpipes glowed read, well we solved the clutch problem but the glowing headers still remains, jetting doesn't seem to be a problem and its always there, not just at idle or at high rpms, we originally thought this was the problem but after bumping up the main jet and having him run around at high rpms the headers were still glowing, we did find that his header was leaking(crappy gaskets) and he replaced all of them and it still there too. So we pulled off the tank and head cover as someone said could be a problem before when we asked this. both of his intakes are extremely tight, can't even fit .001" under, and one of his exhaust was still within spec, and the other is about .001" too tight, would this cause the headers to glow? like since the valves can't close its getting too much fuel which then gets ignited in the pipe? also I can't get the shims out of the buckets, usually i just used a little telescoping magnet and they pop right out, but it wouldn't come out, i tried using 2 of those magnets didn't work, i tried gettin a lil tiny flat screwdriverunder it and that didn't work either? what can i do to get these stubborn lil b@stards out?

thanks for any help you can give me

Old 03-23-2005, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now i'm not sure, but it seems if the headers are glowing, and the jetting is on, the exhaust vavle my not be closing completely, using the head pipe to burn some of the fuel, but I dont know for sure. As to the shims, valves get tighter over time, adjust them back out to specs, might help on the header thing maybe. As to the clutch, is she still slipping? Remove all your oil, get knew friction plates, steels to if they are out of specs, If you dont have the 60% springs, get them, and run an oil with no friction modifiers. You should never have a problem again, when she engages she should hit hard, them springs take the softness(slipping) out of the clutch. Good Luck, Jed

Old 03-23-2005, 06:58 PM
Pro Rider

Before freaking out over the glow keep in mind that Titanium or stainless head pipes will glow at much lower temperatures then the stock head pipe. It's normal.

Old 03-23-2005, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

To get the shims out. Remove the buckets completely. They just lift out. There are cut outs on opisite sides of the buckets. Take a set of needle nose pliers and grab the shim at the cut outs and lift the shim off the bucket.
If you have an air compressor a good blast of air will also do it. But I sugest that you do all this with the buckets out of the head. Ya don't want to lose a shim down into the cam chain cavity[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2005, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SCOUNDREL
Before freaking out over the glow keep in mind that Titanium or stainless head pipes will glow at much lower temperatures then the stock head pipe. It's normal.

The stock headpipe is stainless, and Ti has a melting point about 500deg higher than SS. Rather than by feel, have you done a plug check on fresh plugs?
Justin

Old 03-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

ttt

Old 03-25-2005, 10:09 PM
Pro Rider

What part do you still need answered?
If it's the head pipes glowing then have you corrected the valve gaps yet?

Old 04-02-2005, 03:26 AM
Pro Rider

well we've checked the vavle clearances, they're now fine, the headers were a little loose so he put all new gaskets, studs and nuts, pulled the intake off, orings the guy put on before we got it were to big, so we put better ones on there, i don't think theres any intake leak, but its pretty late so we didn't wanna run it 2 much and i could find anything to do the spray test with, they original owner polished up the headpipes, that wouldn't make a difference at all would it? Thanks again guys

Old 04-02-2005, 06:11 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

I know in certain areas they change the gasoline seasonallly and mix in different amounts of alcohol. Could it be that your glowing is just that the fuel is different and maybe still continuing to burn alittle as it enters the header. I think alittle glowing on fourstrokes in dark conditions isn't too bad.

Old 04-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Last trip out with Sandaholic we were checking jetting and at night, both of our head pipes were glowing. Mine were kind of a 'medium' glow, not bright, but definitely lit. Sandaholic's pipes were bright red so he changed his fuel map (damn people with EFI!) and richened it up which made them glow much less. When I checked my jetting it was dead on, the plugs just looked perfect. We both have stock head pipes, I believe his are ceramic coated, mine are 100% stock. So a light to medium glow would likely be normal, but if it appears bright then that is too rich.

I agree with 650Viper on the clutch slipping, and those 60% springs are sooooo not tough to use. If no one tells you they are on the machine you'll never notice them. (Other than the better grab.)

Quick Reply: Need some help guys