CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Tether Kill switch installation ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tether Kill switch installation ??

I got a tether kill switch from parts unlimited but don't know how to install it. Please help !
I know that it is supposed to be wired to the kill switch on the left hand controls, but can't figure out how to connect it. the wire going to the factory shut off switch is black with yellow stripe. if this wire is unplugged the shut off switch will not work . how do I plug in the kill switch so that it will work when the tether is pulled ? It is wired with two sides (black and white) and has plug in type connectors. I am guessing that one goes to the yellow and black that controls the factory shut off switch, but what about the other? Does it sound like this is the right switch or not? the dealer said that it is the right one. I need this to work to run on the track that I like. any help is greatly appreciated.
Cain

Old 04-03-2005, 01:10 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have never installed the type of switch you have, I have a Pro-Design kill switch, universal, it has two wires - one connects to either of the two coil wires and the other to ground. if you ground the coil wire (the one coming from CDI to coils) the motor dies.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider

One wire goes to the Blk/Yel wire and the other goes to chassis ground. The connections can be made under the dash panel where the Blk/Yel wire exits the switch harness. Tie the new kill switch wire (either one) into the Blk/Yel wire while keeping the original connection on the Blk/Yel wire. Your new kill switch will do exactly the same thing that your kill existing kill switch does when wired this way.
By the way I have the same switch and it works fine this way.
Oh yah, forgot to mention the white wire....put a 5/16" eyelet terminal on it and put it under a bolt that screws directly into the chassis steel. If I remember correctly, I used the front tank cover bolt - between the bolt and the chassis tab.

Old 04-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

So even though it's set up for 2 direct plug ins I just use one and connect the other to the frame using an eyelet to ground it. I had wondered if that would work , but just assumed that they had set it up to simply plug in. Cool. Thanks for the info.
Cain

Old 04-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

Ya know, I said this assuming that they sold you the correct switch. You should have a normally closed switch which opens when you insert the 'key' and closes if you fall off and pull the key out.
If you have the wrong switch it will be backwards and it will die with key inserted. (normally open). if this happens take it back and exchange it for the n/c type. When I bought mine, they sold me the wrong one at first.