CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Water temp guage or in-line cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider
Has been here a long time!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Water temp guage or in-line cooler?

I'm looking at either adding an in-line cooler or an ESR temp guage. Since they install in the same place I can't run both. This brings up my next question, has anyone actually measured a temperature difference running an in-line cooler? I am a little skeptical about their ability to do anything but look cool. Would you recommend doing the guage or cooler?

Old 04-04-2005, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anything i would want the esr temp gauge, i would want to know the temp in my bike then the actuel 2 to 5 degrees this inline might save....JMO

Old 04-04-2005, 09:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I put a ESR gauge on the return line, supercooler on the oil line and coolant supply line. it would do better on the return line, but like you say there isn't room.
I had the ESR gauge first, and after intstalling BOTH supercoolers I see very little change on the gauge if any. Maybe a couple degrees. But I have no oil temp gauge, so no clue what that one is doing for me.
The supercoolers I have are the biggest there is, and cost $20 each from that company that makes all the aluminum airboxes.

Pics of supercoolers and ESR gauge

Old 04-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider

you can install the in line cooler down lower on the hose that takes the coolant to the motor and the ESR in the section between the thermostat and the radiator.

oops hightower beat me to it!

Old 04-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

or you can do wat i did, mount a gauge in the dash, put a T in where your red light sensor is so you can put the sensor for the gauge and the over heat light, plus you can still put a nice big supercooler in the return line, mines so big it barely fits, lol

Old 04-04-2005, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

. Would you recommend doing the guage or cooler?
The gauge. The cooler won't save you. The gauge might[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

I had a friend with a lathe make me an inline cooler for a few bucks. I don't know if it will help alot but for the few it cost me it's worth it. and you can make it as long as you want with fins as high as you want when you make it yourself. I also put an addative in my radiator. it's by redline and called water wetter or wetter water, i forger which, it says if you run 228 with 50 % anti-freeze and 50 % water then with water and this product you will run 202. that is a huge difference. however they say to run at least 15% anti-freeze to prevent freezing if you aren't going to change it before winter. this reduces the cooling effect a little, but is overall worth it to make sure a cold day won't ruin your quad. its sells for about 7$ at local auto parts stores. I think it's worth it.