CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New DS Carrier

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New DS Carrier

With the rise of gas prices, its takin quite the toll on those of us who drive big pickup trucks, right now i have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Edition Quad Cab Short Bed and shes only got 47k miles on 'er, so shes still worth a pretty penny. The new Dakotas are pretty sharp but i wouldnt count out the '04 models, Im debating right now wether to trade in my Ram for a Dakota, the V6 would help a lil bit on gas money and id still be able to tow the DS and a trailer for friends that ride but dont have a truck ya know, I just cant decide if i want to give up my truck for somethin smaller, i like bein able to say i drive a Big Dodge! but i dont like payin for it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default New DS Carrier

I hear you about the gas we hit $2.29 this week. I have a Chevy 2500 and gas mileage is not the best, but I really like all the power I guess I will just have to live with it.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default New DS Carrier

The big 4 really need to delovope a small displacement deisel engine for our 1/2 ton trunks.. I can see a 4.5 liter diesel out performing these "new age" gas burners,and still getting 25 MPG. With todays turbo diesel technology, thier really isnt much use for a gas burner anymore. Ofcorse diesel is Higher than gas, but that is big time BS..... it takes pennies to refine a gallon of diesel[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

bigger.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default New DS Carrier

uim getting 40mpg with my 1993 5spd civic towing a trailer with my ds on it this is the way to go. and all my gear is dry in the hatch.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Trailblazer
Default New DS Carrier

bigger, I agree with you that it's BS that diesel cost more because it's esier to refine. This is where otheres will probably chime in and I would like to hear what they've heard or know. Diesel is less refined but it takes a lot more crude oil to process a gallon of diesel than it does a gallon of regular gas. The more crude it takes outwieghs the modern technology of the refineing process for a gallon of regular gas. Now If I'm wrong here please step up and set me striaght if you know the real answers. This is just what I've been told.

Now, I drive a 2000 F350 CC diesel long bed with a Banks Power Pack kit on it. I pull a 33' Tahoe Transport loaded with 100 gallons of water, 27 gallons of gas and a DS, KFX700 and sometimes my Sportsman 500 H.O. I've tossed around the idea of getting a new truck but this ones paid for. So I'm sticking with my diesel for now.....or until I can't afford the diesel for it!!! It's $2.69 where I usually go. If I drive around (witch waste fuel) I can get it for around $2.53.

Old 04-05-2005, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider
Default New DS Carrier

Originally posted by: NickDS650
With the rise of gas prices, its takin quite the toll on those of us who drive big pickup trucks, right now i have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Edition Quad Cab Short Bed and shes only got 47k miles on 'er, so shes still worth a pretty penny. The new Dakotas are pretty sharp but i wouldnt count out the '04 models, Im debating right now wether to trade in my Ram for a Dakota, the V6 would help a lil bit on gas money and id still be able to tow the DS and a trailer for friends that ride but dont have a truck ya know, I just cant decide if i want to give up my truck for somethin smaller, i like bein able to say i drive a Big Dodge! but i dont like payin for it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
I have a dakota quad cab with the 4.7 V8. I get 16 to 18 mpg depending on load. I was considering a bigger truck. now with gas prices going up, I will just stick with the dakota for a while. I have towed car hauler size trailers with 4 quads and gear no problem. there is a couple of guys I work with that have the 3.9 V6 they seem to like them. but they dont get much better mpg than I get.
I had a guy at my house yesterday putting a windsheild in my truck. he had one of those new dodge van things. I think they call it a sprinter or something. it has a mercedes deisel. he claims 30MPG with the thing. it looks like it would be pushing to much air with that tall box. also they claim 500,000 miles before overhaul on it. to bad they are so friggin ugly.

Old 04-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default New DS Carrier

Originally posted by: CrimsonFlyer
I hear you about the gas we hit $2.29 this week. I have a Chevy 2500 and gas mileage is not the best, but I really like all the power I guess I will just have to live with it.
I wish it was 2.29 here. The average is about 2.60 here.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default New DS Carrier

Just suck it....no whining. Gas in vegas is 2.40 to 2.75 and diesel is 2.60ish...We are one of the highest priced behind Hawaii and Cali.

Old 04-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default New DS Carrier

The next rig I get will be FlexFuel capable - they can run regular gas or the new E85 fuel - Only $1.71 per gallon!

Old 04-06-2005, 01:57 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.
Default New DS Carrier

Originally posted by: NickDS650
You should be getting about 16 with that dodge, what would the Dakota v6 get, 18 to 20? I'd get a louvered tailgate and a K&N and eat the difference and maintain the towing ability.

Quick Reply: New DS Carrier