CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Carb trouble again

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb trouble again

I didn't want to hijack devilonds thread so I started this one.
I too, am about ready to set my DS on fire.
I went out to pracitce for an hour, and about 45 minutes into it, it started bogging down. I slowed to a stop and it would only idle. I went full choke and wide open and tried to blow out whatever was in there. It worked a little but still needed to be taken off and cleaned. This happened at the race last week between practice lap and race. I ripped the carb off and sprayed it down with carb cleaner. It worked perfectly after that untill I would have to go through some wet mud or water crossing. Then it would spit and sputter for a few seconds. I hate that! Those little vent tubes off the carb are suspect to me, too.
So, am I going to have to rip the carb off everytime I ride and clean it? It is a stock quad. I am running a K&N air filter and I spray goopy crap all over it.
I run with the airbox lid and and have a 175 main with Mr HP endcap and I am right on the ocean.
I am heading out Friday night for race #11.
Any ideas?

Old 04-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

make sure your not putting to much filter oil on it and sucking it into the carb. spray starting fluid around all hose clamps and intake boot to check for an intake leak. change your fuel filter and clean out your tank. i would extend your vent tubes you may want to vent them into a catch canister if your worried about stuff getting in them.

Old 04-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

hey mudnuri what clip position is your needle? does the 175 main work better than the 170? I am trying to find out what size main jet I need in mine that is why I am asking the questions sorry

Old 04-06-2005, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

When you apply K&N oil to the filter, you must let the filter dry before use.
If the filter is not dry and you are either having a humid day or alittle water go thru the airbox,
it will draw the oil thru the filter and into the carb.
This oil will settle at the bottom of the emulsion tube and gel.
Pull out the main jet and then the emulsion tube for cleaning.
I have switched to a unifilter and the oil that they use does not gel.

Old 04-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

I had the same problem a few yrs ago . It turned out to be a tiny grain of sand that would bounce up into and out of the main jet tube . When the engine idled it would be fine , as soon as you hit a bump or got on the gas hard it would go into the hole and plug the main jet .

Old 04-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Range Rover

mine does the exact same problem, i ended up cleaning very well the whole carb and i dismantled my on-off-res valve. it was so dirty you can't even imagine. i cleaned everything well and now it works like a charm.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

I must say I am a bit of a moron. I got it running perfect again.
I tore the carb off and cleaned it. Main is 3rd from the top, jackass. Don't be sorry. I only had the factory 165 and now the 175. I can only tell you that with the HP endcap it works good.
I was spraying it with carb cleaner. I noticed my slide getting a film on it and it was sticky. I washed it with soap and water right away. I think this may have been the problem with my other carb. The cleaner melts the slide a little. Bad bad bad.
Then I opened the airfilter box. I cleaned the air filter real good. It was not clean. The airbox itself was filthy. It had 1/8 of dirt and gook all over in the bottom. I cleaned everything. Put the carb back on and it ran perfect.
Now to start packing. It is a 4-1/2 hr drive. I put a couple of new pictures up that were took while racing.
Hopefully I will get a couple more this weekend.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:21 AM
Pro Rider

Mubnuri,
It sounds like you have crap in your tank that is getting through to your carb. Better put an in-line filter on it. You know, one of those clear cone shaped things. They work real well at keeping the crap out of the carb and you can see the accumulation in the filter. Beats a DNF

Old 04-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Pro Rider

Thats funny JS I have both! lol I got a DNF at the 1st race of this season. Same exact situation. Only then, I had no idea how to take the carb on/off in a time.
So I got home and did it. I think it took me about 2 hrs! After cleaning it, it ran fine. I then installed one of those in- line filters.
I put a new one on last night. The old one appears to be clean. I really think the trash is coming through the K&N filter. My problems began when I put that thing on.
She purrs like a kitten now. Actually a lion.
That Mr HP endcap makes it SO loud and you don't want to be behind it or you get the blast of exhaust!
Okay! I'm going racing! I'm so frigging pumped up! I have to work 3/4 day and then LOAD UP!!
Thanks for your help on this carb thing guys.
Old man racing, I am going to switch to the UNI as well. THx