CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 VS. LT500R The main event

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-1999, 12:54 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are all the BANSHEE owners claiming they are faster than all of these quads....Usually there is always a confused banshee owner willing to argue.

sorry, just trying to start a rumble.

Old 12-23-1999, 01:18 AM
Range Rover

BadLT500R...I was thinking about your comment extremely nice lt500 for sale. The 500 will make more power with cheaper mods...I was thinking of buying a DS but maybe I'll just buy yours and have 2. Im sure either of our zillas will spank by the DS.

I wanted to buy a DS to slow down, chill out, enjoy the senery and a engine that doesnt have to be throttled all the time.

[This message has been edited by Dominator (edited 12-22-1999).]

Old 12-23-1999, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DOM,
BadLT500R has been able to directly compare th3e 2 machines and I think he says it best. Yes the Zilla may have more power, but in todays quad world, obviously power is not the only attribute us "High Performance" quad riders want. the Lt 500 R and the Banshee are perfect examples of that! Do these motors make power? Heck YEA, but do they have any sort of frame or suspension? NO. They are 2 old warriors still fighting for the title of horsepower king, yet the DS-650 , IN STOCK FORM would spank them up and down on the track, sand, and with it's tight steering radius and tractable power, could DOMINATE (pun intended) the woods.
Again, I do defer to you, I am only comparing a machine on paper with 2 true legends, so until the DS-650 has been ran by a real person (badlt500R)with no "corporate" restrictions in place, I will still salute the Zilla!

RoostKing...

Old 12-23-1999, 07:35 PM
Pro Rider

The DS would not spank any machine on the track....in a test in 4-wheel atv action it was tied with the Banshee and 400EX. Only place i could see it beating a banshee or 400EX in stock form is in the desert with its plush suspension....of course with the left over money from buyin a new banshee you could get new shocks and extended a-arms and then the top end HP on the banshee would smoke the DS.

just my opinion.

Loofer

'88 Banshee

[This message has been edited by Loofer (edited 12-23-1999).]

Old 12-23-1999, 08:09 PM
Range Rover

badlt, Please be sure to update us after you steal everyone elses thunder with a 10 hour test ride! This has really turned out to be an interesting topic, especially with a dealer\fellow rider involved that portrays just the facts.

Roost, May I offer you a napkin for the drool running down your chin? You'll do anything to get your hands on one of these, won't you! Better get that deposit in fast or it may be a long wait

------------------
Steve Small,'00 400ex
'00 325 Trail Boss for the wife.
Impuls90 for the boys.
<a href="mailto:scsmall@bellatlantic.net">EXtreme E-mail</a>

Old 12-24-1999, 05:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

EXtreme,
Ill take your offer, but only if the napkin is cloth so I can sell it, Im going to need all the help I can muster if Im gonna pay $7000 for a toy! It is a fact Im am already a fan of the DS and with the performance parts catalog I recieved, I have even more respect for the potential this machine has shown. I do doubt I am going to be able to get one in the near future, guess Ill see about tax return time...

RoostKing

Old 12-26-1999, 07:58 PM
Trailblazer

Well guys, I got to ride the DS today for about 2 1/2 hours and came away completely impressed. When I get some more time I'll give you my exact opinions on the machine.

badlt500r

Old 12-27-1999, 12:06 AM
Range Rover

Lofer...Your gonna need to show me how exactly with the left over money you could get the banshee to smoke the DS650? With the extra $900 dollars you need to do some extreme suspension work, and some heavy motor work. I'd imagine you could do the motor work and it would be faster going straight only for the extra $900. Then you'd need +2 A ARMS and +4 swingarm and +2 axle to get the handling in the dunes. I think that 6999 is a great price for the performance.

Old 12-27-1999, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

You got to remember the Banshee has extremely restrictive exhaust system and carbs that could have been at least 28's instead of 26,s.

It will be great to see these 2 quads go head to head when they are both modified. The Banshee needs aftermarket suspension if it wants to stay with the DS when the going gets rough however. But I'm sure all you know that by now.

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

Old 12-27-1999, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

The banshee just needs pipes and it will be faster than the ds. stock vs. stock the ds is 2mph faster and two tenths faster in a drag. pipes will make a big enough difference to beat the DS. you are right the suspension is far superior....lets just see what yamaha comes out with next?!?!? i hope it is good.

dont get me wrong i like the DS but i myself have a banshee and love it.....i am sure if i had a DS i would love it just as much.

Loofer

'88 Banshee

Quick Reply: DS650 VS. LT500R The main event