CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS650 VS. LT500R The main event

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2000, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry it was late and a long day, should've been in bed...Thanks for the sharp eye!!!

Old 01-07-2000, 10:55 PM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If a 500CC 2 stroke was running at its peak wouldnt it take a 1000cc 4 stroke to beat it? 350cc x 2 = 700cc 4 stroke. Wouldnt it take a 700cc 4 stroke to outpower a banshee. The problem is its hard to get 2 strokes to run at there peak, right?

Old 01-09-2000, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

just being a 2 stroke doesnt mean it is going to double the power of a 4 stroke.

------------------
RangerSX 1987 Honda 250X(completely stock)

Old 01-12-2000, 01:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

badlt500r,
I forgot to look at a couple of things. How hard will it be for me to add a temp guage, as far as the connections to the block/or radiator? And is there any kind of storage compartment anywhere on the bike? Is the axle nut going to be a problem that Loktite or something won't take care of?

Thanks in advance,

Bomb-raider

Old 01-13-2000, 12:02 AM
Trailblazer

The DS has two temp sensors on the thermostat housing. From what I understand one is for fan thermostat and the other is for the temp warning light. I'm sure there is some way to incorporate a temp guage but I don't know exactly how, yet.

I don't recall any decent storage to speak of.

I don't think the axle nut is going to be a problem. If the one on the bike had been tightened properly I don't think it would have come loose.

As far as problems go we encountered another over the weekend. One of the DS's was overheating and we couldn't figure out why. Finally after testing everything they found out it was a defective radiator of all things. Bombardier next day aired one to us immediately and demanded we send the old one back to them for inspection. We also had a customer crash one badly, completely destroying one of his A-Arms. My understanding was he crashed in 4th gear wide open. The A'arm acutally broke from the impact. One of the engineers called us and asked us to send it Next Day Air Saturday delivery to his residence in Canada. He also wondered if the person riding the bike was killed because of the type of force required to break the a-arm. He was so intrigued as to see the damage that he had the crash damaged part covered under warranty. Needless to say I am very pleased to see Bombardier putting so much effort into making all the customers happy.

Old 01-13-2000, 12:41 AM
Range Rover
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I may be slow at times, but by the way your talking it seems like the ds650 is already out and in production? Is it very limited production? I havent seen one in michigan yet.

Old 01-13-2000, 01:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

badlt500r: It sounds to me like bombardier is more than just interested in this ATV being perfect. Is there anything that has happened to one of their ATV's which you informed them of, that they DIDN'T want to see the part and or get the info on it? This sounds to me like they want to immediatly fix whatever part may fail.. if they truly have that sort of dedication to the machine, there is no way I could buy anything else. A company that is THAT DEDICATED to a machine, and it's customers.... That's the kind of company I would GLADLY hand over a little more money to. For a machine I know the company stands behind 200%. As much as everyone likes Honda, Yamaha, and any of the other companies.. How many of those companies (Especially the Japanese ones) stand behind thier products so well that they would be so bold as to take the time, effort, energy, and care to improve upon, what they have built? I can say, $7000 is a small price to pay for the dedication that badlt500r is implying Bombardier has with his posts. Unless he is making all of this up, I think my decision has been made. The only thing left to do is see one in person, then sign on the dotted line.

------------------
-Chris Olson "The Black Hawk"

1990 CT LT250R 1987 Mojave Green&Mean

Old 01-15-2000, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

I agree 100% with RoostKing. I picked up my DS650 today and rode it for about 2 1/2 hours. Let me tell you, the torque and acceleration is unbelievable, and in ALL 5 gears. I had a hard time hanging on, no joking. My forearms are sore from holding on for my life! This bike halls azz. The 650 Rotax motor is a screaming 4-stroke. The bike cannot be ridden slowly, it loves to rev high and fly. I've never ridden anything quite like it in my life. The handling is great in my opinion, although I didn't do any jumping yet, just some very rough and bumpy dirt trails, also some smooth straight aways long enough to get into 5th gear. I had no problems what so ever with the steering, clutch or transmission. Also, the low end power was great, I dunno what the magazines are talking about! And I haven't had a problem yet with the rev limiter kicking in, although I'm still breaking it in so that's a no no anyway.

A 2-stroke 250 doesn't have a praire in a drag with the DS650, in my opinion, although it's been a while since I've ridden one.

I had thoughts of waiting to see what Yamaha and Honda will counter with next fall. But I'm glad I didn't wait. This bike is everything I'm looking for in an ATV, and more! This was truely a bold move by Bombardier to introduce such a powerful Sport Quad. I would not be surprissed if Honda and Yamaha decide against stepping up to the plate to offer a powerhouse like the DS650, for legal or safety reasons, or whatever. The DS650 is not for young first time riders and ought to be targeted to 18 years or older in my opinion, unless the rider has been racing Quads for years.

The dealer threw in some extras with the DS650 so I got a reasonable deal given the very limited availability to date. Not what I would expect to pay when the dealer has 10 in stock sitting around, but that is not the case anywhere.

RoostKing: I'm glad to see Duncan Racing and CT Racing working on pipes for the DS650. Ron Woods pricing will have to come down to compete. The bike doesn't need any mods in my opinion. BEFORE I got the DS650 all I was planning on initially was a pipe and a new rev limiter. I don't see the need for either yet, but I'm glad they will be available when I'm ready for them - maybe a couple a weeks, lol.

DS650_TX
2000 Bombardier Dune Sport DS650 1/15/2000