CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Baja like a frog- please help

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja like a frog- please help

Hello everyone,I drove my baja 02 on the street with 90km/h and sudenly the tacho ply up to 200km /h and back to 0 km/h and keep moving ....do you know why?
and few hundred meters later my baja start jumping on normal low speed like a frog,but on free gear (neutral)...engine run normal ....i tought i run off gas but still got much in tank.would you guys please help me ....thanks alot.regards from sweeetzerland.

Old 04-24-2005, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure I understand your post. I think you are saying it cut out and ran bad after an extened high spped run. If this is the case, check the strainers in the bottom of the tank, thet tend to foll up with gunk after a while. They are attached to fuel valve. Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:20 AM
Trailblazer

sorry,i will try to write better.
I was driving my 02 baja on the street at 90 km/h maybe around 30-40 mls/h and sudenly the tachometer point to 200km/h (max speed).and still on the same speed the tacho nadle again turn to zero and keep moving to max speed even i drive the baja at low speed,is it because of the maghnet on right fronth whells?or something else?
after a few miles drives laters,sudenly the baja start jumping like frog....seems like i run out of gas but i still got much gas in fuel tank.
i was driving normally max speed about 135 km/h on the highway, and got no problem with it.oya...one more question: is in USA also can drive ATV on the street or high way? in most europe country can drive on the street and higway.
thank you very much and have a nice sunday.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

We for the most part cannot drive on the roads, i imagine in some places you can do some modifications to make it road legal such as mirrors, signal lights, and tires.

The tachometer, what kind do you have? when you say magnet by the front wheels, the trailtech computer comes to mind.... it may just be picking up false readings from wetness in the connections, or some other disruption.

Jumping like a frog can be from lack of gas caused by the breather vent for your gas tank. It comes off near the top of the spout under the gas tank cover and wraps around a bunch of crap. it may become pinched, creating a vaccuum in your tank and not allowing fuel to flow. Another cause could be too high of gear for the speed your going.... but i highly doubt that. Thats pretty much what I can think of right now, hope it helps.

Old 04-24-2005, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

I had my tach start jumping around for awhile and finally found a better place to ground it and solved that issue. Check all connections from the coils to power supply to ground, you may just have a poor contact.

Old 04-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Range Rover

Mine did the same...the ground cable on the battery was loose..

For the most part we can ride alonside every county road(cannot on the main highways)but at 25MPH

Old 04-25-2005, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

All of the suggestions here are good ones. There could be more than one problem you are dealing with. I don't know about other states, but in Oklahoma, ATV's can never be driven on public roads. You can't get them tagged because of the title being issued to an All Terrain Vehicle. I have allready checked into it.

Old 04-25-2005, 10:57 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like it all electrical. The Tach jumping can be a short or power surge caused form the Stator as well as the Froggy jumping......Checking fuel would be the easiest point to start checking but my guess is it's electrical.

Old 04-25-2005, 11:28 AM
Range Rover

.......and speaking of tachs.......I'm trying to locate a small-faced analog type of tach that will work on my 400 Eiger.
I currently have a mini tach that is digital and is a second or two behind the true rpm. I'd much prefer a dial.
Thanks to all.......many excellent and helpful resonses to questions over the past months.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you very much to all of you,you are so kind and very helpfull,this is the best forum i have joining,like what the old dude said...find some nice riders in here.again...thanks 10000000x for your help.best regards from sweeetzerland.

Quick Reply: Baja like a frog- please help