CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

bmw f 650 fuel injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bmw f 650 fuel injection

what else is different on the BMW F 650 other than the carbs angle is higher, electrical & one exhaust port versus the DS650 dual exhaust ports?

Old 04-30-2005, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

I remeber hearing that the gear ratios are different, but then again maybe I was just hearing things!

Old 04-30-2005, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

Buy it, you could quadrupple your money on eBay. The head, stator and gear ratios are different, I'm not sure what else.
I'd swap the whole motor or at least the head. In reality, it probably isn't worth the time to make it work, sell it and use the profit for a Lectron or try a Honda 450R carb. I researched the fuel injection when it came out and if I remember right it was pretty lean for road use and it had some minor glitches. I think there were some different fuel maps you could hack into but my memory is hazy on that.

Old 05-02-2005, 05:04 AM
Range Rover

i bought the bike, i'm yamking the motor and harness out in a few days, selling the rest to make up the cost on the bike and hopefully a few extra $$. im going to check ot some of the bmw boards and see if i can find a power commander for it or something. or even a program to completly controll the timing and fuel curves. the tranny gearing is completly diffrent from what we have from what im being told as well as teh head design is supposed to be better. i'll let you guys know what i find

Old 05-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

You could also call dynojet and ask them about a power commander. They are some good guys down there...

Old 05-03-2005, 05:01 AM
Pro Rider

I am not sure that the BMW fuel injection motor will fit the DS frame. The head and intake is way different and the way the injectors are mounted is where your fuel tank on the DS is now. The injectors and intake system is mounted above the head, with the intake runners facing nearly vertically down to the head. The DS head has the carbs feeding from the side of the head. You might have to move the fuel tank to make space for the intake system of the BMW motor.

Old 05-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: azsandrider
I would look at swapping the whole motor, as you know that the EFI system works with that motor. Have fun and good luck. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

I have a KMS EFI Turbo system and I can tell you it is well worth the price.

Kelly is NOT getting rich!!! His parts cost to put together his systems, plus his labor, as all the pipes are hand made, add up to a lot. He does have to pay his bills and make a living.

He has spent years working on EFI and turbo systems to get it right. His customer service is excellent. He gets a system up and running but still contiunes with R & D and makes upgrades. Few businesses do this! If EFI was easy to figure out, there would be a lot of other people doing it.
yes the KMS system is costly but the $ per HP is a bargain!! we just ran our turbo and WOW!! Kelly is great and very helpful. We are selling our banshee and building another turbo!!

Old 05-04-2005, 10:37 PM
Range Rover

i have the motor and harness out of the bmw just from a few rough measurments, the motor will fit but i'd have to heat and indent the gas tank some and i'm not liking the idea of it...... but im liking the idea of possibly maching up some runners, and such to relocate the offending parts. im going to have to do some reading on what i can do without affecting performance ....... or just throw that motor in that golf cart i have and make a badass kart lol.

before i worry about buying the self learn efi i'm prob gonna let hpr get there hands on my motor, id like to have them crack it open and massage it a bit. i like the idea of a turbo 715 efi........

Old 05-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Tranny gearing is different - Jeff has a BMW tranny and tried the gearing at one time in one of his engines. Don't remember what wasn't great about it but, he isn't using it anymore. I don't think it was bad but, maybe just not quite ideal.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Range Rover

im thinking of just using the top end off the f-650 motor... i have a few projects at the moment so this one is taking back seat.