CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Suggestions for DS650 Factory Mods for Future Production Runs

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2000, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely NOT RoostKing!! We are only talking about an inch or two here and there, just more roomier. I had the same concerns as you, but when I sat on one for the first time I loved it. The 400EX and banshee are small in my opinion, that's one reason I chose the DS650.

ScoobyDFW
'00 Dune Sport DS650

[This message has been edited by ScoobyDFW (edited 01-20-2000).]

Old 01-21-2000, 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

From what I have heard, the DS seams to be an awsome machine. I understand when you build a machine with an engine that big and powerfull you are asking for some more weight to keep it all together. I guess in the dunes Reverse is not a big thing, but on trails I would think reverse would be a must for that kind of weight. I ride with a 400ex, when he gets in a jam it aint to tough to push it right back, but the DS must be a different story.

Old 01-21-2000, 01:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Weight of the DS650 isn't so bad, I'm not exactly sure why everyone is in such a big uproar. I'm not some overly muscle-bound guy, but I was EASILY able to pick up and drag the DS650 by the grab bar - just as I do with my LT250R and Mojave. One thing I did notice, is the front and rear felt to be the same weight, meaning it's balanced. I'm figuring if I can go from picking up quads that weigh 360 lbs. to picking up one that weighs 460+ lbs. (This one did have gas and oil etc in it - I saw it run - it sounds awesome!) I'm either a HELLOFALOT stronger than I thought I was, or the difference is no big deal. Also, if you think about it, with the quad being balanced, that's only a 50-lb. difference compared to a TRX/LT/etc. when you pick up either the front or rear. There we have it, case closed: a non-weight lifting 6'1" 210 LB COMPUTER TECHNICIAN can pick up the DS650 NO PROBLEM. If you can't, then grow some muscles or shut up - because I DON'T want to hear it from people who aren't even strong enough to move the quads they have now!

------------------
-Chris Olson "The Black Hawk"

1990 CT LT250R 1987 Mojave Green&Mean

Old 01-21-2000, 02:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

or you could ad reverse and never have a problem, just a little constructive criticism take it easy

Old 01-22-2000, 01:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

RoostKing: I adjusted the rear shock today because it seemed too stiff for my weight. I adjusted the compression & rebound damping screws, and now it is just right for me. I was surprised what a difference a few turns made. I'm not sure how to adjust the front shocks pre-load. It seems like a need a special tool to release the pressure of the spring so I can turn the adjuster to lower it.

I tried picking up the front end and the rear end. The front is definitely a little heavier.

There is a speedo option, but it is still under development I'm told. Wouldn't be surprissed to see it standard at some point.

There is a nice DS650 cover from Bombardier.
Also, yellow shock covers/gloves or whatever you call them.

ScoobyDFW
'00 Dune Sport DS650

Old 01-22-2000, 01:55 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Scooby,
Sounds like your Scooby snack is in your garage! I am going to be looking at the DS hopefully in a few months, see what happens. Anyhow, it sounds like you really impressed with yours, as are the other owners... What kind of riding do you do? I know this is early already, but are you looking at any upgrades? Near term or long term? I have talked to owners of the BMW F-650's Rotax's making in the neighborhood of 75-80 hp with their bikes. That would be wild in a quad! Anyhow, thats coming from a non-owner, Im sure the power is quite sufficient for wasting the competition!..Have fun, keep us updated!

RoostKing...

RoostKing...

Old 01-23-2000, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

hehe I just chuckle when people complain that the DS has no reverse, and would be very hard to get unstuck.

I'm just wondering are you people VEGATARIANS? IF so you guys might want to throw away that rabbit food and try eating MEAT for a change. That way you will build muscle and not have to worry about it.

Then the next time you get stuck, get off your guad and start beating your your chest with your fists, and yell, I AM A MAN. WATCH ME MOVE THIS THIS THING!

87 Banshee
99 Banshee

[This message has been edited by SaMs0n (edited 01-22-2000).]

[This message has been edited by SaMs0n (edited 01-22-2000).]

Old 01-23-2000, 12:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

RoostKing: I am very tempted to do some simple bolt-on mods such as exhaust. However, I don't think I would tear apart the motor just yet! I'm tempted because the mods are becoming available. Also, unless I can beat ALL banshees out there (short of the 130 HP turbo banshee) such as a 62 HP Alba Banshee, I might not feel content. Having said that, I think there is MORE than enough torque & HP in stock form. I definitely don't want to over do it and make the bike unridable! By the way, I took out full coverage insurance on my DS650 due to the cost of the bike.

ScoobyDFW
'00 Dune Sport DS650

Old 01-23-2000, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

i get my ds 650 on 1/24/00/ i know i am lucky.i live in ny and do mostly trail riding with a bit of track riding . i have no sand here so i will post again to tell how it did in the cold and on the trails .i now owen a lt500 piped port pol .80 over all redone last summer i eat every banchees i have run with (i havent seen the 130hp ban tho) . i have a ticate 250 frame with a 490 power plant in it and it is sick fast so that is what i will be comparing to. if it dos well i have an lt 500 for sale.

Old 01-23-2000, 10:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I just got back from another day of riding. This time I went to an awesome place where there was sand and lots of MX style trails.

I have come to the conclusion that I definitely NEED more low end for an MX type track! What I need to be able to do is get the front end off the ground by use of the throttle, to play the whoops better. In stock from I can't get the front end off the ground for a number of reasons that I won't go into here - the front end is a little heavier than the rear. I did struggle a little with which gear to use, 2nd or 3rd for whoops. Third seemed a little to fast so I couldn't keep the RPMs up high enough. Second reved pretty high but still couldn't get the front end up. So, I'm in the market for a pipe as bare minimum, maybe more.

We did some dragging in the light sand along a lake. The stock dominator tires do not hook up well in sand. I spun through 4th gear at take off. Even after getting traction and picking up some serious speed, I still didn't feel that all the power was reaching the ground. In deep soft sand the DS with stock tires is pathetic to say the least! I am from NY originally (Texas now), and it felt like I was riding in 1 foot of fresh snow. So, I am going to look into tires that will be better in that type of terrain.

A sixth gear would make things even more interesting. Maybe with some performance mods I can add a tooth to the front sprocket. Just a thought.

ScoobyDFW
'00 Dune Sport DS650

[This message has been edited by ScoobyDFW (edited 01-23-2000).]

Quick Reply: Suggestions for DS650 Factory Mods for Future Production Runs