CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Valve adjustment what shims needed?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve adjustment what shims needed?

Alright well I took advantage of the great weather and tore the baja down to check it out for the upcoming summer and season. My intake valves would not even clear .002 inch, so I'm wondering what size shim you guys are suggesting I order, they are the stock shims. Also the exhaust measured .005, so I believe it will be alright without any adjustment. Any input would be greatly appreciated and also, the dealership said $120 for a full check and adjusting of the valves does that sound reasonable, although I will be doing it myself with Eaglecollectors instructions I'm just looking for a way to judge my dealership's prices. Thanks alot

Old 05-22-2005, 03:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

will .001" feeler fit? if there is no gap at all then you do not know how far the valve may be hanging open, therefore don't know what shim size to order. you would have to go down on shim thickness enough to attain a gap, before you can calculate exactly what size to get. but it is doubtful the valve is hanging open much at all if any, its the valve slamming shut that causes the tuliping and wear, and once the gap is gone there isn't much more wear to have happen, so you'd probably be good ordering the next 2 sizes down - if dropping down one size doesn't get the right gap the next size down otta.

also, if you have a local machine shop with a magnetic based surface grinder, they can grind your shims down to whatever you tell them, mine charges less for this than the price of new shims. have them take off .006" (.003 from each side to maintain parrellel) and then see if that gets you where you need to go. If it measures good then leave them in, if not then take them back to the shop and have some more removed...

Old 05-22-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

I do not have a .001 feeler gauge, but I will talk to some machinists at my schools vo-tech tomorrow I'm almost positive they would and if so they can do it for free and I'll be sure to make sure they stick to .003 off each side.