CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Went through everything won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went through everything won't start?

Alright finally starting to get the bomber back out. Anyways it sat for around 8 months, I changed the plugs, drained all the gas and carb and refilled it. I checked the new plus for spark and it seems good and checked all breather hoses. I pulled the plugs after trying to turn it over a few times and they still look brand new with very little moisture I was expecting to see alot of gas, but there wasn't so it seems to me as if its starving for fuel, but any suggestions or hints would be appreciated.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Also, what is the strock setting for the screw coming from the carburetor, I know that you tighten it up and then begin to loosen it by a certain number of turns, but how many?

Old 05-24-2005, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Pilot screw should be out min 3 turns.
You may want to take the choke/fuel enrichment out for cleaning if does not start.
Make sure battery is fully charged. Choke pulled all the way out, not just first notch.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

I will check the screw tomorrow, I have tried starting with choke all the way out, all the way in and halfway and it is a brand new battery maintained with a tender and while starting I have a real battery charger hooked up to ensure it remains at or near full charge

Old 05-24-2005, 06:17 AM
Pro Rider

Screen in the tank might be plugged.

Old 05-24-2005, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the suggestion, plus the fuel line flows full so that isn't the problem, I know when the intake valves don't have enough clearnance it makes it hard to start, but can it be to this degree i so i will tear off the head and check clearances?

Old 05-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

When you check a spark plug , is it wet or dry?

If wet, smell the plug, does it have a strong gas smell?
If yes, are plugs new or old?
If new, let them dry out. If old, change them.

If wet and no or little gas smell & plug does not seem to dry fast:
Turn off gas and remove float bowl or if screw to float bowl can turn, open and discard fuel.(Too much moisture or old fuel)
Whenever you let your quad sit for more than 30 days, it is a good suggestion to open bottom screw to float bowl or remove float bowl and discard fuel in carb.
If plugs are new, they have to be dryed by torch or ether or place in oven for a few minutes(don't let your wife, if married, catch you using the oven) to remove moisture.

Replace float bowl and install dry spark plugs.

If plugs are dry and motor will not start:
Remove seat, pull out the two air tubes from under the gas tank cowling.
With choke fully on, hands covering the ends of air tubes(restricting air), have someone hit the starter for 4 or 5 turns of motor. Remove hands and hit the starter.

If motor still does not start and plugs are dry.
Pilot circuitry must be plugged.
You will need compressed air with a nozzle that has a rubber tip.
Loosen carb and turn to side.
Remove pilot screw.
Blow air into orifice that pilot screw threads into.
Install pilot screw and turn back out 4 turns.
Let us know the outcome.

Old 05-24-2005, 10:35 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

sitting that long, with gas in it, most likely the carb is clogged with gas varnish buildup. The carb prolly needs removed, disasembled, and cleaned well thru all its ports and orifices, and all orifices then blown out with compressed air.

Clean the needle valve and seat, the main jet, needle jet, and jet needle,
remove pilot jet and soak and clean it, spray carb cleaner then blow compressed air thru the hole in the carb it mounts in, remove the starter jet and spray cleaner and blow air thru its mounting hole,
spray cleaner and blow air thru the choke/enricher orifices,
and spray cleaner and blow air thru the tiny orifices you see at the rear of the carb throat.

wherever you spray and blow, there is another end of that hole stuff should come out - like you will see the spray come out in the carb throat above the pilot jet hole, etc.

I just did all this on a 400ex a while back, that sat for 6 months. Be midful that all the parts are very delicate, be careful with it all. And DO NOT be tempted to stick anything like raspy welding tip cleaner and junk like that in any of these holes - you scrath them up and they are junk.

Old 05-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Pro Rider

Alright I appreciate all the suggestions and to answer a few of the suggestions: I have drained all gas and put some brand new in it. After trying to start the motor for a few seconds and then removing the plugs, they are not wet by any means and still rpoduce full spark. I have opened the drain screw and emptied the bowl out a couple of times. I will tear apart the carburetor tonight and check out to see if anything appears to be gummed up, I hope so because I would like to be back out riding this weekend. Once again I appreciate all the suggestions.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:29 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

These guys are right, Most likely your pilot jet is clogged with old gas, take the carb off,and take the jets completely out,and double make sure their is nothing in them restricting flow. Also do the same with your needle/valve,and float as suggested earlier.

bigger

Quick Reply: Went through everything won't start?