CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

clutch advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch advice

I just back from a 60 mile ride today. My clutch dont catch until the very end. How do you adjust the clutch. If this dont help where con i get one from?? I dont have access to a dealer, is this a very hard job to do yourself? I dont race just trail ride. My quad is a 2000 ds with low hours. Once again thanks. Chicknhawk.

Old 05-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

Up on the bars at the clutch lever you have the ability for adjustment. You can also make the adjustment down on the left side where the clutch cable connects to the clutch actuator arm. Putting more slack in the cable will cause the gears to ingage sooner. If this does not help or you end up with a lot of slack in the cable then it's time for at least new fibers. I would get fibers and steel plates though if I was you. Get a hold of TVI the'll send you the OEM fibers and steels. You could go with the barnetts from Alba also. If you so desired. I think they run right around 160...not sure though. I think a OEM fibers and steels are about 140. It's been a long time since I've had to buy either so I could be off on the costs.

Old 05-29-2005, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

yes, what eaglecollector said. The handlebar adustment is the place to start. If that isn't enough, adjusting down below is tricky if you've never done it.

Old 05-29-2005, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

I could be wrong but when I read the manual I thought it meant losen the cable on the handle bar by turning the adjusting bolt in all the way, I took mine cable off of the actuator lever down on the clutch cover then adjuster the lever to specs, 68 to 75 mm then attatached the cable to the actuator lever then adjusted the adjustment bolt on the handle bar, i had to move my actuator lever back one tooth to get the clutch to work right, just my .02 cents

Old 05-31-2005, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

what did you ever find out about your clutch chiknhawk?

Old 06-13-2005, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

well the clutch is shot. have one ordered from alba for 159.00. when it comes in ill be back in business. Thanks for all your help. A little advice be selective on who rides your quad. My best friends son fried mine in less thsn an hour. Chicknhawk.

Old 06-13-2005, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

did you get one with heavier springs?

Old 06-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

It is the barnett carbon fiber kit, and comes with "heavy duty" springs. Have you used this set up? Mainly all i do is trail riding, that usually gets intense with alot of mud. Well thanks for your advice. Chicknhawk

Old 06-13-2005, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

no I have the rwr 60% heavier springs with the stock plates and discs, I like them,

Old 06-14-2005, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider
Default clutch advice

Seems like wvwry time i stsrt ordering parts i have a long waiting/down time. I had to wait over a month for a new rear carrier and bearing kit. My wife ordered the clutch kit for a early b-day gift, and it seems there is a short wait on that also. I have heard oher people talk of the same combo that you have. Is the performance about the same or better. I probably should have looked it up earlier but today i searched the forum and found some pretty negative issues with albas setup. Maybe i should go with your setup instead. Tomorrow i m going to contact alba about the status o fthe clutch and if they have back ordered it then if there is no re stock fee i may go with the other setup. What is the, if any , price difference? Thanks alot chiknhawk

Quick Reply: clutch advice